- Other Emotional Issues
- Anger Management
- Releasing anger at parents allowed healing of ulcerative colitis and headaches
- Suppressed anger expelled via the stomach
- EFT for self righteous anger
- Getting over a gang rape--including a follow-up
- EFT alleviates horrendous self-hatred and rage
- Calming down Teddy, an emotionally disturbedboy
- EFT for anger underlying ALS
- An unusual anger release
- Anger in a homeless shelter
- A murderous rage is calmed with EFT
- Intuitional work with anger
- A First Class use of Surrogate EFT for Bill's anger and behavior issues
- EFT Transforms "hopping-mad" anger
- Anger and Hostility are Proven to Damage Lungs; Simple Acupressure Technique Offers a Solution
- Anger case history from a client
- EFT for workplace anger
- Josh: Building rapport with children--anger & behavior problems.
- EFT for anger helps both Ann and her angry husband--note the surrogate approach
- Unbearable hatred toward classmates
- Surrogate EFT for fighting neighbors
- Brandon's Story--anger problem becomes history: (including an update at the end)
- EFT for deep seated anger
- EFT and severe mental illness--a murderous impulse
- An interesting approach to EFT and road rage
- Using EFT for on-the-spot "hopping mad" anger
- The cause of our anger isn't always as it appears
- A client talks about her abusive childhood and her relief via EFT
- Resentments relieved 22 years after a poor birthing experience
- EFT resolves long term resentment
- The EFT Cooling Tower Technique for Letting off Steam
- Anger management approach for a polarity responder
- Releasing anger patterns with EFT
- A client resolves lifelong anger on her own
- Clearing anger and self loathing with EFT via introduction to inner child
- Stubborn anger issue falls to 0 with emphatic "say what you feel" wording.
- Road Rage and hives disappear in one session after getting to the core issue
- Press Release: Can a One-Minute Anger Management Technique Reduce Injury Risk and Chronic Illness?
- New Technique Helps Avoid Heart Damage by Diffusing Anger Within Marital Arguments
- The client who continually felt resentful
- Employee overcomes anger at supervisor
- Jonas uses EFT for deeper meditation - dangerous PSA reading is now only 0.4
- School Counselor on anger and tension,
- Getting behind a successful EFT anger case
- Football Star Uses New Acupressure Technique to Calm his Road Rage -- No Drugs Needed
- Transgender person with abusive mother relieves rage with EFT
- Anger case--the urge to explode
- Even dropping the kids off at school provides tapping opportunities - an anger issue
- Using EFT to self-calm an intense anger tantrum
- Useful thoughts on anger by Stewart Robertson
- What was REALLY causing Anne's depression?
- EFT student eases his wife's suicidal thoughts
- Louella: Depression, pesticides and low blood sugar
- A successful but involved depression case--"I don't want to tell you how well I'm doing"
- EFT resolves 12 years of postnatal depression
- Long term severe depression gone in ten minutes
- Jaqui Crooks used EFT to overcome her Seasonal Affective Disorder (SAD)
- Maggie eliminates her own depression
- Surrogate tapping and its effect on depression.
- Persistent EFT by Email on depression, anger and anxiety
- Cross dressing, sexuality and depression
- A case that didn't work--and some suggestions
- A first class look at using EFT for a complex case - depression, guilt, grief and abandonment
- Was it really a manic/depressive disorder?
- A textbook depression case--a "one minute wonder" complete with belief changes
- Approaching Depression with the Tearless Trauma Technique
- After 15 years of therapy, including shock therapy, EFT helps release depression
- Depression, low self esteem and childhood traumas
- Persistence and a challenging case - Incest, abuse, depression, anxiety attacks, nightmares and flashbacks
- A mis-diagnosed manic/depressive disorder
- Depression with numerous underlying issues
- Major results for anxiety, depression and social issues from one thorough EFT session and consistent EFT "homework"
- Success with a skeptical, depressed scientist - follow up included
- Gary discusses depression and some new ideas
- A non-therapist does superb work on depression--including her own.
- Newbie uses EFT on depression, allergic reactions and more
- Hair loss and facial blemishes fade after EFT relieves important emotional issues -- Depression too!
- Adrienne, a physician
- EFT saves a life by rapidly resolving suicidal depression
- Depression and confusion about God
- EFT on personal depression--"I was angry at myself"
- Press Release: New Method for Depression Often Works When Nothing Else Will
- 30+ years of depression gone in 2 minutes
- Dr. Patricia Carrington on depression--a detailed discussion, including meds
- Depression, height phobia and claustrophobia eliminated in one session
- Depression related to guilt
- When depression comes from a related issue
- Depression Drugs and Migraine Drugs Don't Always Do The Job
- Depression on Death Row
- EFT Newcomer eliminates his own deep depression and anxiety disorder
- An intimate look at Depression
- EFT instead of shock treatments?
- From depressed and suicidal ... to ... "I laugh all the time
- Panic And Anxiety
- Travel Anxiety--using the Tell the Story Technique
- Febrile convulsions and related panic attacks subside--not one attack in the two years since she learned to use EFT
- Successful surrogate tapping for surgery anxiety
- Persistence and Panic Attacks - Quality results on a stubborn issue
- Getting to the core of "Mark's" anxiety
- EFT for overeating and panic attacks
- Performance anxiety at a music camp
- Gayla uses EFT for panic
- New Method for Treating Anxiety Works When Conventional Treatments Fail
- Clearing social anxiety with EFT
- Two surrogate tapping cases: Dental anxiety and severe stomach ache
- Panic Attacks: Getting behind the thought process
- Husband relieves wife of major panic attack
- EFT newcomer rids himself of social anxiety
- Relief for another stress related cough
- Using EFT for panic when nobody is around
- Testing your EFT work: Feeling trapped and panic attacks
- A Quality "How To Do It" Session for Fear and Anxiety
- Diagnosed as a schizophrenic, Gregoire had anxiety, stress and insomnia
- Current "in your face" anxiety and stress case
- EFT makes good progress with panic, agoraphobia and feeling like a failure
- Detective work crucial in relief for panic attacks
- Combining EFT with the Inner Theater approach for panic attacks
- Collapsing a client's anxiety from the 9/11 disaster--with 4 year follow-up
- Anxiety and the fear of being alone
- EFT student uses tapping to immediately calm down after a major car accident
- Medical school test anxiety--from C's and D's to A's and B's
- Success story with 10 day anxiety attack
- Sports anxiety, heat sensitivity, being away from home, loneliness, fear of insects.
- 20 year old abduction anxiety calmed with EFT
- EFT helps adult learners overcome school and math anxiety
- EFT on a case of extreme separation anxiety in a dog and the importance of Core Issues for Animals
- Study Shows Simple Drug-Free Acupressure Technique Reduces Dental Anxiety
- Detective work provides help for an anxiety disorder
- Imagination tapping on the finger points reduces stress level to zero
- Using EFT for a client who feels out of control.
- One EFT round with Deborah's daughter relieves performance anxiety
- Surgery anxiety and EFT
- Eric Robins, MD and Lisa Cox on surgery anxieties
- Severe anxiety client has his life back
- EFT Newbie resolves her own major trip anxiety
- Panic attacks and heart palpitations subside after doing EFT on dreams
- Anxiety, eating and more
- Success in neutralizing unwanted memories without the client disclosing the content
- Newcomer uses EFT to collapse his own panic-attacks and writes letter to "Quackwatch"
- A detailed panic attack case
- Non-therapist relieves stress in the form of a temper tantrum
- EFT for panic attacks
- Who Would Have Thought That Acupressure Could Relieve Social Anxiety Better Than Drugs or Therapy?
- Daddy left me. Will my new boyfriend leave me too?
- Courtroom anxiety AND anxiety about calling employers
- One EFT phone session resolves driving test anxiety -- and the benefits expand
- Panic attacks and fear of darkness
- Addressing Generalized Anxiety Disorder by aiming EFT at specific events
- Test anxiety
- Using EFT for Social Anxiety Disorder
- Surgeon Uses New Acupressure Technique to Lower Surgery Risk
- Overcoming Test Anxiety with New Drug-Free Technique: 80% Success Rate
- Daily tapping for Panic Attacks
- Anxiety related to atrial fibrillation is calmed with EFT
- Performance anxiety and many aspects
- EFT brings relief for trauma, anxiety, and an overactive bladder, all in less than an hour
- OCD (Obsessive Compulsive Disorder)
- Attorney helps client by using EFT for long term unresolved grief
- A grief case with many aspects
- Uncontrollable grief resolved with EFT
- Freedom from grief in only 15 minutes
- Relieving grief over the death of Higgins the dog
- When certain music triggers grief and sadness
- EFT eliminates unnecessary grief emotions and softens the grieving process - includes 2 month follow up
- Using EFT for Bereavement
- EFT turns grief into beauty
- EFT brings healing to a whole family while one woman heals her grief
- Community relief from grief with EFT
- EFT for grief and pet loss
- This new Widow was helped in many ways by EFT
- EFT for pain and grief for a birth mother who wasn't allowed to see her child -- a touching story with a happy ending
- Getting to important emotions by doing EFT while looking in the mirror
- Tapping through grief leads to incredible insight and relief
- EFT setup statements for grief
- An easy grief case with an aspect that showed up later
- Imaginary tapping sends grief away
- EFT may be a great relief to grief-stricken nurses who lose patients
- Fresh grief and a double benefit.
- Grief changes to smiles
- EFT heals a broken heart in rapid time
- Using EFT to improve a relationship
- EFT, One Minute Wonders and Opening to Love
- EFT by telephone smoothes out a tense family reunion
- Insights into picking up another person
- Interesting way to use EFT & Tappy Bear for a broken heart
- Relationships, EFT and Spirituality
- Improve relationships by Tapping in the Positive
- Using EFT for relationship issues--a detailed case
- Tapping on relationship issues
- EFT resolves a 10 year heartbreak
- "I didn't like kissing my wife after she drank coffee."
- Jack improves his relationship with his grandson using surrogate EFT
- Addressing relationship and family issues by tapping on photographs
- Tapping into a state of Love
- How clearing an intense cough led to improved family relationships--an EFT two-for-one EFT benefit
- MD introduces an innovative idea that brings relief for stubborn relationship issue
- Finding the love you want by healing the inner child
- Relationship Issue: "My husband was being a jerk"
- Using EFT to prepare for a difficult encounter
- EFT is instrumental in bringing a couple back together
- Relationships - on "Being Right"
- Instant relationship fix?
- Relationship issue: A humorous approach
- What holds you back from your lover?
- Combining role playing with EFT for relationships and other issues
- Using EFT for a Broken Heart
- The Healing Power of Forgiveness
- Love, Intuition, Patience and EFT help a schizophrenic 15 year old.
- EFT for Couples
- Retired Stanford professor fixes his wife's computer with EFT
- Relationship success after finding core issue
- EFT to heal family relationships
- Using EFT on "blocking thoughts" to good relationships
- Surrogate EFT heals a broken heart for a 16 year old boy
- EFT for love pain
- Shared tapping provides benefits for relationship issues
- EFT Instead of the psych ward after a relationship breaks up
- Taking relationships work to a new level--The Odd Couple
- EFT and meditation for a broken heart
- Reframes (seeing things differently) for guilt, shame and sorrow
- Restless leg syndrome linked to guilt - 20 years of restlessness gone in 2 sessions
- How to reduce guilt via an EFT "Tapping Circle" -- keeping privacy for everyone
- The "Tapping the System" Technique
- The Rolling EFT process
- Using EFT for unnecessary guilt - Did EFT get someone's husband to cook dinner?
- How Guilt and Shame Block the Law of Attraction
- Stubborn guilt finally subsides after doing a search on our website and DVDs for ideas
- EFT and infertility
- A bout of cystitis turns out to be a bout of guilt
- Writing a letter
- New Acupressure Discovery Reduces Stress 4 Ways: 80% Success Rate
- Many Stressed Women Abandon Healthy Lifestyle Habits: Simple Acupressure Technique Offers a Solution
- To Physicians: New Discoveries in Acupressure Promise Everything From Alertness to Pain and Stress Management
- A new do-it-yourself approach to acupressure alleviates stress and, in turn neutralizes cold, flu an
- Psychotherapy Dramatically Improved By New 'Acupuncture Without Needles' Technique
- Eating Disorders
- Love, diligence and an eating disorder
- Michal describes what it is like to be free from an eating disorder
- Two Year Bulimia Problem Gets Major Assist in One Hour
- A Bulimia "one session wonder"
- Bulimia in Brazil
- "Acceptance Tapping" - A powerful EFT treatment variation for severe compulsive disorders and bulimia.
- Joe resolves his Anorexia...and more
- Anger Management
Table of Contents Help
The tabs on the right are shortcuts to where you have been:
- Previous Screen
- Previous Articles
- Previous Categories
- Start Page
- Hide Entire Menu
Swiping to the left will take you to the previous screen.
The folder icon indicates that more content is available. Click on the icon or the associated text, or swipe to the right to see the additional content.
Other Emotional Issues
Relationships, EFT and Spirituality
Important Note: This article was written prior to 2010 and is now outdated. Please use my newest advancement, Optimal EFT. It is more efficient, more powerful and clearly explained in my free e-book, The Unseen Therapist™. Best wishes, Gary
David Lake, MD (from Australia) walks us through some of his seasoned thoughts and philosophies regarding the spiritual aspects of EFT and the related Energy Psychologies. In his conclusion he says...
"I see some inspiring parallels between EFT and practical spirituality. I find that EFT and all the Energy Psychologies have the potential to bring an aspirant to a clear space of inner peace."
I would agree.
I am convinced of EFT's spiritual nature, although I would say it differently than David. To me, every successful EFT session neutralizes a portion of the long list of fears, angers, traumas and guilts that stand in our way of spiritual forgiveness (and thus spiritual peace). Who can forgive, for example, when they are burdened by their unresolved angers at an abusive parent?
As we clear away our emotional ballast, we quite naturally find our more joyous nature bubbling up to the top.
David's philosophies echo this, but from a different angle. He borrows upon the wisdom of author Eckhart Tolle to emphasize his points.
Please note that this is not a "how to do EFT" article. Rather, it provides a useful philosophical foundation for applying EFT to relationship issues.
I think it is no accident that the leaders in the field of Energy Psychology have strong spiritual connections that inform their work. This aspect of the field is not emphasized although I find it to be an integral part. I wonder whether the practice of Energy Psychology leads naturally towards the "opportunity for spiritual opening"?
I think it does. My observations of the "deeper" effects of EFT lead me to consider that when the mind is calmed, there is a growth of "being". So often this is accompanied by a personal peace. Possibly we are activating our spiritual energies when we use energy techniques.
A modern classic text by Eckhart Tolle--"The Power Of Now" (pub. Hodder)--makes the path of spiritual growth clear for the individual and the couple seeking deeper connection. He emphasizes the role of the mind in clouding the awareness of our present, and our inner energy. He points to the opening to joy and love that is possible when we accept what is--the Now--and detach from the egoic mind and the emotional "pain-body".
Here I gather and intersperse selected wisdom from the book (lines out of context) with my version of how EFT could "assist" in realizing the truth. I am using his words to illustrate self-help, for individuals in relationship, using Energy techniques.
My simple comments are no substitute for absorbing the wisdom and inspiration of a sage like Eckhart Tolle directly from his magnificent book.
ECKHART TOLLE: "The moment that judgment stops, through acceptance of what is, you are free of the mind. You have made room for love, for joy, for peace. First you stop judging yourself; then you stop judging your partner. The greatest catalyst for change in a relationship is complete acceptance of your partner as he or she is, without needing to judge or change them in any way".
COMMENT: This goes directly to the heart of connection. I have found that the negative issues often unleashed by the statement: "I accept myself" in the EFT set-up phrase are nothing less than the blocks to being yourself (see the excellent posts on the EFT website by Steve Wells on this topic). EFT can apply a harmonizing influence to this chaos where the possibility increases that you will become more conscious, partly because awareness of your inner energy-body will anchor you in the Now.
ECKHART TOLLE: "Why can't you just be yourself? When you have a relationship with yourself you have split yourself into two: "I" and "myself", subject and object...that mind-created duality is the root cause of... all problems and conflict in your life. In the state of enlightenment, you are yourself--"you" and "yourself" merge into one. You do not judge yourself... you do not love yourself, you do not hate yourself, and so on...there is no "self" that you need to protect, defend or feed anymore".
COMMENT: And no "self" to accept, either. Only the enlightened need comment here.
ECKHART TOLLE: "Intimate relationships bring out the pain and unhappiness that is already in you...you want to keep yourself intact, and the pain has become an essential part of you...so you resist every attempt you make to heal the pain".
COMMENT: Here is the starting point of so many relationship problems, where eventually the unconscious patterns and pain manifest after being "triggered" by a partner. EFT is most useful here as a containing and holding mechanism which has the power to treat the held-feelings outside the influence of the mind. After EFT, the mind "discovers" that the problem you had is not so bothersome, and suddenly you can "let it go..." Strangely, the results of persistent tapping on emotional trauma defuse the role of the mind in re-creating the problem repeatedly. This provides a huge benefit in the potential for conscious awareness in the present moment.
ECKHART TOLLE: "If you resist or fight unconscious behaviour in others, you become unconscious yourself. Resistance is the mind".
COMMENT: If you use EFT to treat yourself for the hurts of conflict, you are using a direct body-energy treatment which supplants resistance in the mind, and does not necessarily increase it. Here your mind is willing initially to acknowledge that using EFT is better than doing something else that doesn't work (based on past experience of repeated conflict), and so you find a way to bypass the dysfunctional intentions of the past. EFT brings something life-affirming to the equation of conflict.
ECKHART TOLLE: "Since resistance is inseparable from the mind, relinquishment of resistance--surrender--is the end of the mind as your master. Knowing that what is cannot be undone--because it already is--you say yes to what is or accept what isn't".
COMMENT: It goes without saying that effective use of EFT on a personal block can lead to a state of acceptance. This manifests as peace and harmony in relationship without denying innate difficulties. You can say 'yes" to the reality of life and partnership even if the mind may not logically agree. There can be peace first in relationship and problem-solving second. A partner or family member or friend may never change but you still love them. I simply don't know where this realization comes from in most successful treatment results. Often I regard it as beyond the mind. I do know that if such outcomes were purely the result of logic, reason and intellect, then a lot more people would just think their way to being happy, and not need help for hurt or suffering. We cannot do this. We have our "rules" about life.
ECKHART TOLLE: "If you can never accept what is, by implication you will not be able to accept anybody the way they are. Surrender is inner acceptance of what is without any reservations... surrender does not transform what is, at least not directly. It transforms you..."
COMMENT: When we persist in wanting our partner to change we must face up to the truth that it is our personal inability to accept our own reactions to what the partner does. I use EFT extensively on these reactions, which are easy to find. In a subtle way there is a movement towards acceptance of those reactions and of the partner's behaviour as the emotional intensity reduces and the mind's habit of judging is tempered. Personal change is the only thing we have as an option--especially by using EFT--but we cannot dictate the outcome in partnership. Very fortunately EFT provides positive energetic results when grappling with the egoic mind. It is a great lever.
ECKHART TOLLE: "If you cannot accept ...the external condition (what is)...then accept what is inside...do not resist the pain...allow it to be there...surrender to whatever form the suffering takes...witness it...embrace it. Full attention is full acceptance".
COMMENT: Applying EFT to whatever suffering your attention embraces is a powerful healing.
ECKHART TOLLE: "Instead of mirroring to each other your pain and your unconsciousness, instead of satisfying your mutual addictive ego needs, you will reflect back to each other the love you feel deep within".
COMMENT: Couples already know how to do this, as it is how you bonded when you first met! Only the conditional and judging mind is scared by trivial habits and fears that stimulate memories of hurt.
ECKHART TOLLE: "Instead of reacting to delusion, you see the delusion yet at the same time look through it. Being the knowing creates a clear space of loving presence that allows all things and all people to be as they are. No greater catalyst for transformation exists".
COMMENT: Being the knowing is "watching" the turbulence within (in times of trouble) and letting it be. EFT is something that might help calm this turbulence and foster this awareness.
ECKHART TOLLE: "It always looks as if people had a choice but that is an illusion...as long as you are your mind, with its conditioned patterns, what choice do you have? You are not even there...the moment you realize this, there can be no more resentment...of someone's illness...the only appropriate response is compassion".
COMMENT: The one who truly loves you does not mean to hurt you.
ECKHART TOLLE: "The past ceases to have any power when you surrender to what is...presence is the key"
COMMENT: So often in relationship conflicts the mind is not your friend, and has only the illusion of second-hand rules and dysfunctional choice to offer. When the mind is bypassed by the Energy technique itself, and you can practice inner awareness (one kind of which practice forms much of the content of the "Power Of Now"), then your being-awareness--loving presence--reveals itself.
This may be the "intention" behind so many fine outcomes of Energy Psychology. It may be a transmission of energy too, within effective treatments.
I see some inspiring parallels between EFT and practical spirituality. I find that EFT and all the Energy Psychologies have the potential to bring an aspirant to a clear space of inner peace.
Dr David Lake
FOR MORE EFT HELP ...
Explore our newest advancement, Optimal EFT™, by reading my free e-book, The Unseen Therapist™. More efficient. More powerful.