- Other Emotional Issues
- Anger Management
- Releasing anger at parents allowed healing of ulcerative colitis and headaches
- Suppressed anger expelled via the stomach
- EFT for self righteous anger
- Getting over a gang rape--including a follow-up
- EFT alleviates horrendous self-hatred and rage
- Calming down Teddy, an emotionally disturbedboy
- EFT for anger underlying ALS
- An unusual anger release
- Anger in a homeless shelter
- A murderous rage is calmed with EFT
- Intuitional work with anger
- A First Class use of Surrogate EFT for Bill's anger and behavior issues
- EFT Transforms "hopping-mad" anger
- Anger and Hostility are Proven to Damage Lungs; Simple Acupressure Technique Offers a Solution
- Anger case history from a client
- EFT for workplace anger
- Josh: Building rapport with children--anger & behavior problems.
- EFT for anger helps both Ann and her angry husband--note the surrogate approach
- Unbearable hatred toward classmates
- Surrogate EFT for fighting neighbors
- Brandon's Story--anger problem becomes history: (including an update at the end)
- EFT for deep seated anger
- EFT and severe mental illness--a murderous impulse
- An interesting approach to EFT and road rage
- Using EFT for on-the-spot "hopping mad" anger
- Anger management approach for a polarity responder
- The cause of our anger isn't always as it appears
- A client talks about her abusive childhood and her relief via EFT
- Resentments relieved 22 years after a poor birthing experience
- EFT resolves long term resentment
- The EFT Cooling Tower Technique for Letting off Steam
- Press Release: Can a One-Minute Anger Management Technique Reduce Injury Risk and Chronic Illness?
- Releasing anger patterns with EFT
- A client resolves lifelong anger on her own
- Clearing anger and self loathing with EFT via introduction to inner child
- Stubborn anger issue falls to 0 with emphatic "say what you feel" wording.
- Road Rage and hives disappear in one session after getting to the core issue
- New Technique Helps Avoid Heart Damage by Diffusing Anger Within Marital Arguments
- The client who continually felt resentful
- Employee overcomes anger at supervisor
- Jonas uses EFT for deeper meditation - dangerous PSA reading is now only 0.4
- School Counselor on anger and tension,
- Getting behind a successful EFT anger case
- Football Star Uses New Acupressure Technique to Calm his Road Rage -- No Drugs Needed
- Transgender person with abusive mother relieves rage with EFT
- Anger case--the urge to explode
- Even dropping the kids off at school provides tapping opportunities - an anger issue
- Using EFT to self-calm an intense anger tantrum
- Useful thoughts on anger by Stewart Robertson
- What was REALLY causing Anne's depression?
- EFT student eases his wife's suicidal thoughts
- Louella: Depression, pesticides and low blood sugar
- A successful but involved depression case--"I don't want to tell you how well I'm doing"
- EFT resolves 12 years of postnatal depression
- Long term severe depression gone in ten minutes
- Jaqui Crooks used EFT to overcome her Seasonal Affective Disorder (SAD)
- Maggie eliminates her own depression
- Surrogate tapping and its effect on depression.
- Persistent EFT by Email on depression, anger and anxiety
- Cross dressing, sexuality and depression
- A case that didn't work--and some suggestions
- A first class look at using EFT for a complex case - depression, guilt, grief and abandonment
- Was it really a manic/depressive disorder?
- A textbook depression case--a "one minute wonder" complete with belief changes
- Approaching Depression with the Tearless Trauma Technique
- After 15 years of therapy, including shock therapy, EFT helps release depression
- Success with a skeptical, depressed scientist - follow up included
- Depression, low self esteem and childhood traumas
- Persistence and a challenging case - Incest, abuse, depression, anxiety attacks, nightmares and flashbacks
- A mis-diagnosed manic/depressive disorder
- Depression with numerous underlying issues
- Major results for anxiety, depression and social issues from one thorough EFT session and consistent EFT "homework"
- Hair loss and facial blemishes fade after EFT relieves important emotional issues -- Depression too!
- Adrienne, a physician
- Gary discusses depression and some new ideas
- A non-therapist does superb work on depression--including her own.
- Newbie uses EFT on depression, allergic reactions and more
- 30+ years of depression gone in 2 minutes
- EFT saves a life by rapidly resolving suicidal depression
- Depression and confusion about God
- EFT on personal depression--"I was angry at myself"
- Press Release: New Method for Depression Often Works When Nothing Else Will
- Dr. Patricia Carrington on depression--a detailed discussion, including meds
- Depression, height phobia and claustrophobia eliminated in one session
- Depression related to guilt
- When depression comes from a related issue
- Depression Drugs and Migraine Drugs Don't Always Do The Job
- Depression on Death Row
- EFT Newcomer eliminates his own deep depression and anxiety disorder
- An intimate look at Depression
- EFT instead of shock treatments?
- From depressed and suicidal ... to ... "I laugh all the time
- Panic And Anxiety
- Travel Anxiety--using the Tell the Story Technique
- Febrile convulsions and related panic attacks subside--not one attack in the two years since she learned to use EFT
- Successful surrogate tapping for surgery anxiety
- Persistence and Panic Attacks - Quality results on a stubborn issue
- Getting to the core of "Mark's" anxiety
- EFT for overeating and panic attacks
- Performance anxiety at a music camp
- Gayla uses EFT for panic
- New Method for Treating Anxiety Works When Conventional Treatments Fail
- Clearing social anxiety with EFT
- Two surrogate tapping cases: Dental anxiety and severe stomach ache
- Panic Attacks: Getting behind the thought process
- Husband relieves wife of major panic attack
- EFT newcomer rids himself of social anxiety
- Relief for another stress related cough
- Using EFT for panic when nobody is around
- Combining EFT with the Inner Theater approach for panic attacks
- Testing your EFT work: Feeling trapped and panic attacks
- A Quality "How To Do It" Session for Fear and Anxiety
- Diagnosed as a schizophrenic, Gregoire had anxiety, stress and insomnia
- Current "in your face" anxiety and stress case
- EFT makes good progress with panic, agoraphobia and feeling like a failure
- Detective work crucial in relief for panic attacks
- Sports anxiety, heat sensitivity, being away from home, loneliness, fear of insects.
- 20 year old abduction anxiety calmed with EFT
- Collapsing a client's anxiety from the 9/11 disaster--with 4 year follow-up
- Anxiety and the fear of being alone
- EFT student uses tapping to immediately calm down after a major car accident
- Medical school test anxiety--from C's and D's to A's and B's
- Success story with 10 day anxiety attack
- Surgery anxiety and EFT
- EFT helps adult learners overcome school and math anxiety
- EFT on a case of extreme separation anxiety in a dog and the importance of Core Issues for Animals
- Study Shows Simple Drug-Free Acupressure Technique Reduces Dental Anxiety
- Detective work provides help for an anxiety disorder
- Imagination tapping on the finger points reduces stress level to zero
- Using EFT for a client who feels out of control.
- One EFT round with Deborah's daughter relieves performance anxiety
- Eric Robins, MD and Lisa Cox on surgery anxieties
- Severe anxiety client has his life back
- EFT Newbie resolves her own major trip anxiety
- Panic attacks and heart palpitations subside after doing EFT on dreams
- Anxiety, eating and more
- Success in neutralizing unwanted memories without the client disclosing the content
- Newcomer uses EFT to collapse his own panic-attacks and writes letter to "Quackwatch"
- A detailed panic attack case
- Non-therapist relieves stress in the form of a temper tantrum
- EFT for panic attacks
- Who Would Have Thought That Acupressure Could Relieve Social Anxiety Better Than Drugs or Therapy?
- Daddy left me. Will my new boyfriend leave me too?
- Courtroom anxiety AND anxiety about calling employers
- One EFT phone session resolves driving test anxiety -- and the benefits expand
- Panic attacks and fear of darkness
- Addressing Generalized Anxiety Disorder by aiming EFT at specific events
- Test anxiety
- Using EFT for Social Anxiety Disorder
- Surgeon Uses New Acupressure Technique to Lower Surgery Risk
- Overcoming Test Anxiety with New Drug-Free Technique: 80% Success Rate
- Daily tapping for Panic Attacks
- Anxiety related to atrial fibrillation is calmed with EFT
- Performance anxiety and many aspects
- EFT brings relief for trauma, anxiety, and an overactive bladder, all in less than an hour
- OCD (Obsessive Compulsive Disorder)
- Uncontrollable grief resolved with EFT
- Attorney helps client by using EFT for long term unresolved grief
- A grief case with many aspects
- When certain music triggers grief and sadness
- Freedom from grief in only 15 minutes
- Relieving grief over the death of Higgins the dog
- Using EFT for Bereavement
- EFT turns grief into beauty
- EFT eliminates unnecessary grief emotions and softens the grieving process - includes 2 month follow up
- EFT brings healing to a whole family while one woman heals her grief
- Community relief from grief with EFT
- This new Widow was helped in many ways by EFT
- EFT for grief and pet loss
- Tapping through grief leads to incredible insight and relief
- EFT for pain and grief for a birth mother who wasn't allowed to see her child -- a touching story with a happy ending
- Getting to important emotions by doing EFT while looking in the mirror
- Imaginary tapping sends grief away
- EFT setup statements for grief
- An easy grief case with an aspect that showed up later
- Grief changes to smiles
- EFT may be a great relief to grief-stricken nurses who lose patients
- Fresh grief and a double benefit.
- Insights into picking up another person
- EFT heals a broken heart in rapid time
- Using EFT to improve a relationship
- EFT, One Minute Wonders and Opening to Love
- EFT by telephone smoothes out a tense family reunion
- Using EFT for relationship issues--a detailed case
- Tapping on relationship issues
- Interesting way to use EFT & Tappy Bear for a broken heart
- Relationships, EFT and Spirituality
- Improve relationships by Tapping in the Positive
- Addressing relationship and family issues by tapping on photographs
- Tapping into a state of Love
- EFT resolves a 10 year heartbreak
- "I didn't like kissing my wife after she drank coffee."
- Jack improves his relationship with his grandson using surrogate EFT
- Using EFT to prepare for a difficult encounter
- How clearing an intense cough led to improved family relationships--an EFT two-for-one EFT benefit
- MD introduces an innovative idea that brings relief for stubborn relationship issue
- Finding the love you want by healing the inner child
- Relationship Issue: "My husband was being a jerk"
- What holds you back from your lover?
- EFT is instrumental in bringing a couple back together
- Relationships - on "Being Right"
- Instant relationship fix?
- Relationship issue: A humorous approach
- EFT for Couples
- Combining role playing with EFT for relationships and other issues
- Using EFT for a Broken Heart
- The Healing Power of Forgiveness
- Love, Intuition, Patience and EFT help a schizophrenic 15 year old.
- Surrogate EFT heals a broken heart for a 16 year old boy
- Retired Stanford professor fixes his wife's computer with EFT
- Relationship success after finding core issue
- EFT to heal family relationships
- Using EFT on "blocking thoughts" to good relationships
- EFT and meditation for a broken heart
- EFT for love pain
- Shared tapping provides benefits for relationship issues
- EFT Instead of the psych ward after a relationship breaks up
- Taking relationships work to a new level--The Odd Couple
- Reframes (seeing things differently) for guilt, shame and sorrow
- Restless leg syndrome linked to guilt - 20 years of restlessness gone in 2 sessions
- How to reduce guilt via an EFT "Tapping Circle" -- keeping privacy for everyone
- The Rolling EFT process
- The "Tapping the System" Technique
- How Guilt and Shame Block the Law of Attraction
- Using EFT for unnecessary guilt - Did EFT get someone's husband to cook dinner?
- EFT and infertility
- Stubborn guilt finally subsides after doing a search on our website and DVDs for ideas
- A bout of cystitis turns out to be a bout of guilt
- Writing a letter
- New Acupressure Discovery Reduces Stress 4 Ways: 80% Success Rate
- Many Stressed Women Abandon Healthy Lifestyle Habits: Simple Acupressure Technique Offers a Solution
- To Physicians: New Discoveries in Acupressure Promise Everything From Alertness to Pain and Stress Management
- A new do-it-yourself approach to acupressure alleviates stress and, in turn neutralizes cold, flu an
- Psychotherapy Dramatically Improved By New 'Acupuncture Without Needles' Technique
- Eating Disorders
- Two Year Bulimia Problem Gets Major Assist in One Hour
- A Bulimia "one session wonder"
- Bulimia in Brazil
- "Acceptance Tapping" - A powerful EFT treatment variation for severe compulsive disorders and bulimia.
- Joe resolves his Anorexia...and more
- Love, diligence and an eating disorder
- Michal describes what it is like to be free from an eating disorder
- Anger Management
A Quality "How To Do It" Session for Fear and Anxiety
Note: This is one of 3,000 articles written prior to the updated Gold Standard (Official) EFT Tapping Tutorial™. It provides practical uses for EFT Tapping and most EFT'ers should find it very helpful. However, if your benefits are temporary or a more in-depth approach is needed, you are urged to explore our newest advancement, Optimal EFT, by reading our free e-book, The Unseen Therapist, and/or (3) get help from a Certified EFT Practitioner.
EFT Master Lindsay Kenny gives us an inside look at a quality phone session for her client's intense pre-surgery anxiety. This is well worth studying because the principles used here can be applied to a wide variety of issues.
"Judy" was a phone-session client who contacted me with severe fear and anxiety about an operation she was about to undertake. She was stressed to the max about being in the hospital again, (after a previous mastectomy). Trusting her life to others, going "under the knife", and being out of control while anesthetized terrified her. Her intensity was a 10 when we started, so we did a multi-part set-up with:
- "Even though I'm terrified of going "under the knife" tomorrow, I love, trust, and accept myself."
- "Even though I'm afraid to turn control of my life over to strangers, and even though I want to be able to trust their abilities, I just can't right now. But I love and trust myself unconditionally."
"Even though I'm anxious about being put to sleep, I accept myself without judgment."
Mentioning several items in the set-up works great with closely related aspects of the same, current, issue. We're actually catching many feelings or emotions at once. Some are so intermingled it's hard to separate them anyway. Anxiety and Stress, or Anger and Frustration, for instance are close enough to clump together (assuming they are about the same issue).
Judy and I then did one round of the tapping points just saying "This fear and anxiety about the operation." On the next round I had her say "stream of consciousness" phrases at each different tapping point such as; I hate hospitals...it's scary being out of control....I hate being under the knife....I don't really know these people....I have to put my life in their hands....how scary is that?....this operation makes me very anxious....thousands die in hospitals every year...etc.
I find that using these "stream of consciousness" phrases helps grab all the "wandering concerns" about an issue. Getting them all on the table and puts them in a pile to be swept away together. People often ask "What should I be saying?" Often the best phrases come right from my clients. You know yourself and your issues better than anyone, so say what's true for you. By just letting all of your thoughts or worries about a problem come out as you tap, your body can start to relax and deal with them. In many cases I might have said "I'm nervous about being out of control" and Judy would change it to "I'm freaking terrified of being unconscious and under the knife!" There are no 'wrong' words, only some that might work better than others. Let your instincts be your guide.
We then checked into Judy's anxiety, which was down to a 5. This time on the set-up point the statement became:
- "Even though I still have a lot of anxiety about the operation, I love and accept myself completely."
- "Even though I still don't trust these doctors, I know that they are the best at what they do, I love and trust myself and my judgment in choosing these doctors."
- "Even though I hate being out of control and having my life in someone else's hands I want to relax and feel comfortable with this necessary process."
On the tapping points we did one round on the reminder statement saying "remaining fear and anxiety" at each point. The second round we used different phrases at each point such as: "remaining anxiety....I want to let it go....remaining fear...I want to be relaxed and comfortable....I'm tired of being uptight about this operation....millions have this done successfully every year....I want to trust these docs....remaining fear....I want to trust myself....remaining fear of losing control...I want to release that fear....etc"
So now Judy was at a 2 in her fear and anxiety. We then moved to the Choice Method (by Pat Carrington) and did a setup statement of
"Even though a small part of me is still hanging on to this operation anxiety, a bigger part of me wants to let it go and be relaxed.
"So Even though I'm still a little anxious, I choose to let the bigger part of me win.
"Even though I still a little fearful about the operation, I choose to eliminate this fear and anxiety, and become calm and confident. I choose to trust these competent doctors and myself. I choose to help myself by remaining calm and relaxed.
- On the first round of tapping at the points Judy said "Remaining fear and anxiety".
- On the second round, at each point she said a positive choice such as "I chose to start letting go of this fear and anxiety.... I choose to be relaxed and comfortable.... I chose to eliminate this anxiety....I chose to be calm and comfortable....I close let go of any remaining fear...I ask my body to be calm, relaxed and comfortable in the operating room, etc."
On the third round we alternated the negative statement on one point with a positive choice at the next point, such as "remaining fear and anxiety" then at the next point..."I choose to let it go....then, "remaining anxiety"...."I choose to be calm and collected" then "all remaining fear"...."I choose to completely eliminate it", I choose to be completely calm and relaxed"
We did this until Judy seemed truly calm and certain (which was just accomplished by the end of that third round). I then added a "positive force" round of different statements at each points, such as "I trust myself"...I know these doctors are intelligent and very experienced....I believe in their skills and abilities....I'm am still in control...I'm relaxed, powerful and confident....I'm strong and brave....I'm committed to help the docs by remaining calm and relaxed"...I will sleep peacefully and calmly through the night."
By then she was good to go. I tested her by having her imagine being wheeled into the operating room and seeing the needles coming toward her. She was genuinely calm and relaxed with no anxiety. It's important to get an issue to a zero so it's truly over. Just having someone say "I feel better now" isn't' good enough. Testing or prodding the client, or yourself, is a good way to make sure the issue has been dealt with completely. You'll see Gary test cleints often in his videos (that's how I learned how to do it). If the intensity comes up some when tested, then there's more work to do.
After the session I asked Judy to e-mail after the operation, when she could to let me know how she did. She was nice enough to do that in detail and here is her response (edited for brevity).
Thank you again for working with me the day before my surgery. It really helped me prepare in an energy/emotional way that no pill could have done! Between the lessening of the emotional burden and laproscopic surgery, the event was not at all traumatic.
Here are a few events with which the EFT helped me:
1. Our session on the phone helped me to see myself as powerful and not a victim of this circumstance. And the affirmations put this event in the total picture - I am more than this surgery, I am loved and grateful for my life.
2. I lost no sleep the night before, rose at four, was calm and collected during the urban freeway trip (very unusual for me), and went through waiting and check-in cheerfully.
3. In the surgery prep area, other patients were in close proximity, discussing their nausea, etc. and I knew it wasn't about me, nor did I need to take on anyone else's energy (unusual for me).
4. During a long wait on the gurney, I tapped about "any remaining anxiety about surgery" and then focused on thinking the positive affirmations like the ones you used the day before..."these are highly skilled, competent helpers"..."I'm confident about this excellent surgeon and his team"
I was off the tubes and instruments, eating, and home the next afternoon. After two days, I was off the pain medications, eating normally, and energetic - YAHOO! EFT has been amazing to me because of its forgiving nature. I cannot put "numbers" to my examples above, or guess what my experience would have been without EFT, but I am certain there was a huge shift in my emotional state, attitude, and experience because of it. What an incredible tool - I'm watching those CD's and eager to learn more.
Thank you, Lindsay, for knowing what affirmations would serve me best, and for identifying aspects (womanhood, victim, family roles) that were feeding the anxiety about surgery.
Coincidently, I had another client the same day with similar issues. "Kevin" was anxious over the diagnosis of a serious heart condition and as a result a medical procedure the following day. Using a similar protocol as with Judy, we cleared Kevin quickly of his fears and trepidations.
After dealing with the negative, however, we then took it another step or two and added several affirmations and requests of his body. We tapped on phrases such as "Even thought the docs are saying I'm really sick ,I ask my body to stabilize my heartbeat and restore my heart-health". "Even though I'm getting a bad report on my heart I ask my body to heal my heart and repair any damage that was done". We did several rounds using these kinds of requests and affirmations, including this one "I am grateful for all the work my heart has done for me all of these years, and I trust it to take care of me for many more." This may sound silly to some people, but it really resonated with Kevin. Maybe all of hid previous tests that indicated he had a severe problem were incorrect. Or just maybe EFT helped mend his heart, virtually over night. Here's what "Kevin had to say about his experience.
Hey Lindsay... The procedure could not have gone better. I was a little nervous at times but didn't panic...I was amazingly calm for most of the procedure.... A few hours after the infusion the doctor told me that the test was negative for my feared heart problem. She also said my ECG looked better than the last one at the office! Hah! Sounds like the rhythm is stabilizing like we asked it to do! She seemed to think my heart was healthy. I would venture to guess that with a little more time I could get a perfect ECG reading. This EFT thing is amazing! Thank you. In a short time (2 sessions) EFT has had a profound impact on my situation. I know we've still got some work to do but I'm very optimistic about the future. God bless.
FOR MORE EFT HELP ...
Explore our newest advancement, Optimal EFT, by reading our free e-book, The Unseen Therapist.