- Other Emotional Issues
- Anger Management
- Football Star Uses New Acupressure Technique to Calm his Road Rage -- No Drugs Needed
- Transgender person with abusive mother relieves rage with EFT
- Anger case--the urge to explode
- Even dropping the kids off at school provides tapping opportunities - an anger issue
- Using EFT to self-calm an intense anger tantrum
- Useful thoughts on anger by Stewart Robertson
- Releasing anger at parents allowed healing of ulcerative colitis and headaches
- Suppressed anger expelled via the stomach
- EFT for self righteous anger
- Getting over a gang rape--including a follow-up
- EFT alleviates horrendous self-hatred and rage
- Calming down Teddy, an emotionally disturbedboy
- EFT for anger underlying ALS
- An unusual anger release
- Anger in a homeless shelter
- A murderous rage is calmed with EFT
- Intuitional work with anger
- A First Class use of Surrogate EFT for Bill's anger and behavior issues
- EFT Transforms "hopping-mad" anger
- Anger and Hostility are Proven to Damage Lungs; Simple Acupressure Technique Offers a Solution
- Anger case history from a client
- EFT for workplace anger
- Josh: Building rapport with children--anger & behavior problems.
- EFT for anger helps both Ann and her angry husband--note the surrogate approach
- Unbearable hatred toward classmates
- Using EFT for on-the-spot "hopping mad" anger
- Surrogate EFT for fighting neighbors
- Brandon's Story--anger problem becomes history: (including an update at the end)
- EFT for deep seated anger
- EFT and severe mental illness--a murderous impulse
- An interesting approach to EFT and road rage
- Anger management approach for a polarity responder
- The cause of our anger isn't always as it appears
- A client talks about her abusive childhood and her relief via EFT
- Resentments relieved 22 years after a poor birthing experience
- EFT resolves long term resentment
- The EFT Cooling Tower Technique for Letting off Steam
- Press Release: Can a One-Minute Anger Management Technique Reduce Injury Risk and Chronic Illness?
- Releasing anger patterns with EFT
- A client resolves lifelong anger on her own
- Clearing anger and self loathing with EFT via introduction to inner child
- Stubborn anger issue falls to 0 with emphatic "say what you feel" wording.
- Road Rage and hives disappear in one session after getting to the core issue
- New Technique Helps Avoid Heart Damage by Diffusing Anger Within Marital Arguments
- The client who continually felt resentful
- Employee overcomes anger at supervisor
- Jonas uses EFT for deeper meditation - dangerous PSA reading is now only 0.4
- School Counselor on anger and tension,
- Getting behind a successful EFT anger case
- Depression on Death Row
- EFT Newcomer eliminates his own deep depression and anxiety disorder
- An intimate look at Depression
- EFT instead of shock treatments?
- From depressed and suicidal ... to ... "I laugh all the time
- What was REALLY causing Anne's depression?
- EFT student eases his wife's suicidal thoughts
- Louella: Depression, pesticides and low blood sugar
- A successful but involved depression case--"I don't want to tell you how well I'm doing"
- EFT resolves 12 years of postnatal depression
- Long term severe depression gone in ten minutes
- Jaqui Crooks used EFT to overcome her Seasonal Affective Disorder (SAD)
- Maggie eliminates her own depression
- Surrogate tapping and its effect on depression.
- Persistent EFT by Email on depression, anger and anxiety
- Cross dressing, sexuality and depression
- After 15 years of therapy, including shock therapy, EFT helps release depression
- A case that didn't work--and some suggestions
- A first class look at using EFT for a complex case - depression, guilt, grief and abandonment
- Was it really a manic/depressive disorder?
- A textbook depression case--a "one minute wonder" complete with belief changes
- Approaching Depression with the Tearless Trauma Technique
- Major results for anxiety, depression and social issues from one thorough EFT session and consistent EFT "homework"
- Success with a skeptical, depressed scientist - follow up included
- Depression, low self esteem and childhood traumas
- Persistence and a challenging case - Incest, abuse, depression, anxiety attacks, nightmares and flashbacks
- A mis-diagnosed manic/depressive disorder
- Depression with numerous underlying issues
- Hair loss and facial blemishes fade after EFT relieves important emotional issues -- Depression too!
- Adrienne, a physician
- Gary discusses depression and some new ideas
- A non-therapist does superb work on depression--including her own.
- Newbie uses EFT on depression, allergic reactions and more
- 30+ years of depression gone in 2 minutes
- EFT saves a life by rapidly resolving suicidal depression
- Depression and confusion about God
- EFT on personal depression--"I was angry at myself"
- Press Release: New Method for Depression Often Works When Nothing Else Will
- Dr. Patricia Carrington on depression--a detailed discussion, including meds
- Depression, height phobia and claustrophobia eliminated in one session
- Depression related to guilt
- When depression comes from a related issue
- Depression Drugs and Migraine Drugs Don't Always Do The Job
- Panic And Anxiety
- Test anxiety
- Using EFT for Social Anxiety Disorder
- Surgeon Uses New Acupressure Technique to Lower Surgery Risk
- Overcoming Test Anxiety with New Drug-Free Technique: 80% Success Rate
- Daily tapping for Panic Attacks
- Anxiety related to atrial fibrillation is calmed with EFT
- Performance anxiety and many aspects
- EFT brings relief for trauma, anxiety, and an overactive bladder, all in less than an hour
- Travel Anxiety--using the Tell the Story Technique
- Febrile convulsions and related panic attacks subside--not one attack in the two years since she learned to use EFT
- Successful surrogate tapping for surgery anxiety
- Persistence and Panic Attacks - Quality results on a stubborn issue
- Getting to the core of "Mark's" anxiety
- EFT for overeating and panic attacks
- Performance anxiety at a music camp
- Gayla uses EFT for panic
- Using EFT for panic when nobody is around
- New Method for Treating Anxiety Works When Conventional Treatments Fail
- Clearing social anxiety with EFT
- Two surrogate tapping cases: Dental anxiety and severe stomach ache
- Panic Attacks: Getting behind the thought process
- Husband relieves wife of major panic attack
- EFT newcomer rids himself of social anxiety
- Relief for another stress related cough
- Detective work crucial in relief for panic attacks
- Combining EFT with the Inner Theater approach for panic attacks
- Testing your EFT work: Feeling trapped and panic attacks
- A Quality "How To Do It" Session for Fear and Anxiety
- Diagnosed as a schizophrenic, Gregoire had anxiety, stress and insomnia
- Current "in your face" anxiety and stress case
- EFT makes good progress with panic, agoraphobia and feeling like a failure
- Sports anxiety, heat sensitivity, being away from home, loneliness, fear of insects.
- 20 year old abduction anxiety calmed with EFT
- Collapsing a client's anxiety from the 9/11 disaster--with 4 year follow-up
- Anxiety and the fear of being alone
- EFT student uses tapping to immediately calm down after a major car accident
- Medical school test anxiety--from C's and D's to A's and B's
- Success story with 10 day anxiety attack
- Surgery anxiety and EFT
- EFT helps adult learners overcome school and math anxiety
- EFT on a case of extreme separation anxiety in a dog and the importance of Core Issues for Animals
- Study Shows Simple Drug-Free Acupressure Technique Reduces Dental Anxiety
- Detective work provides help for an anxiety disorder
- Imagination tapping on the finger points reduces stress level to zero
- Using EFT for a client who feels out of control.
- One EFT round with Deborah's daughter relieves performance anxiety
- Eric Robins, MD and Lisa Cox on surgery anxieties
- Severe anxiety client has his life back
- EFT Newbie resolves her own major trip anxiety
- Panic attacks and heart palpitations subside after doing EFT on dreams
- Anxiety, eating and more
- Success in neutralizing unwanted memories without the client disclosing the content
- Newcomer uses EFT to collapse his own panic-attacks and writes letter to "Quackwatch"
- A detailed panic attack case
- Non-therapist relieves stress in the form of a temper tantrum
- EFT for panic attacks
- Who Would Have Thought That Acupressure Could Relieve Social Anxiety Better Than Drugs or Therapy?
- Daddy left me. Will my new boyfriend leave me too?
- Courtroom anxiety AND anxiety about calling employers
- One EFT phone session resolves driving test anxiety -- and the benefits expand
- Panic attacks and fear of darkness
- Addressing Generalized Anxiety Disorder by aiming EFT at specific events
- OCD (Obsessive Compulsive Disorder)
- EFT may be a great relief to grief-stricken nurses who lose patients
- Fresh grief and a double benefit.
- Grief changes to smiles
- Attorney helps client by using EFT for long term unresolved grief
- A grief case with many aspects
- Uncontrollable grief resolved with EFT
- When certain music triggers grief and sadness
- Freedom from grief in only 15 minutes
- Relieving grief over the death of Higgins the dog
- EFT turns grief into beauty
- EFT eliminates unnecessary grief emotions and softens the grieving process - includes 2 month follow up
- Using EFT for Bereavement
- Community relief from grief with EFT
- EFT brings healing to a whole family while one woman heals her grief
- EFT for grief and pet loss
- This new Widow was helped in many ways by EFT
- EFT for pain and grief for a birth mother who wasn't allowed to see her child -- a touching story with a happy ending
- Getting to important emotions by doing EFT while looking in the mirror
- Tapping through grief leads to incredible insight and relief
- EFT setup statements for grief
- An easy grief case with an aspect that showed up later
- Imaginary tapping sends grief away
- EFT for love pain
- Shared tapping provides benefits for relationship issues
- EFT Instead of the psych ward after a relationship breaks up
- Taking relationships work to a new level--The Odd Couple
- EFT and meditation for a broken heart
- Insights into picking up another person
- EFT heals a broken heart in rapid time
- Using EFT to improve a relationship
- EFT, One Minute Wonders and Opening to Love
- EFT by telephone smoothes out a tense family reunion
- Tapping on relationship issues
- Interesting way to use EFT & Tappy Bear for a broken heart
- Relationships, EFT and Spirituality
- Improve relationships by Tapping in the Positive
- Using EFT for relationship issues--a detailed case
- Tapping into a state of Love
- EFT resolves a 10 year heartbreak
- "I didn't like kissing my wife after she drank coffee."
- Jack improves his relationship with his grandson using surrogate EFT
- Addressing relationship and family issues by tapping on photographs
- How clearing an intense cough led to improved family relationships--an EFT two-for-one EFT benefit
- MD introduces an innovative idea that brings relief for stubborn relationship issue
- Finding the love you want by healing the inner child
- Relationship Issue: "My husband was being a jerk"
- Using EFT to prepare for a difficult encounter
- EFT is instrumental in bringing a couple back together
- Relationships - on "Being Right"
- Instant relationship fix?
- Relationship issue: A humorous approach
- What holds you back from your lover?
- Combining role playing with EFT for relationships and other issues
- Using EFT for a Broken Heart
- The Healing Power of Forgiveness
- Love, Intuition, Patience and EFT help a schizophrenic 15 year old.
- EFT for Couples
- Retired Stanford professor fixes his wife's computer with EFT
- Relationship success after finding core issue
- EFT to heal family relationships
- Using EFT on "blocking thoughts" to good relationships
- Surrogate EFT heals a broken heart for a 16 year old boy
- Writing a letter
- Reframes (seeing things differently) for guilt, shame and sorrow
- Restless leg syndrome linked to guilt - 20 years of restlessness gone in 2 sessions
- How to reduce guilt via an EFT "Tapping Circle" -- keeping privacy for everyone
- The "Tapping the System" Technique
- The Rolling EFT process
- Using EFT for unnecessary guilt - Did EFT get someone's husband to cook dinner?
- How Guilt and Shame Block the Law of Attraction
- Stubborn guilt finally subsides after doing a search on our website and DVDs for ideas
- EFT and infertility
- A bout of cystitis turns out to be a bout of guilt
- Psychotherapy Dramatically Improved By New 'Acupuncture Without Needles' Technique
- New Acupressure Discovery Reduces Stress 4 Ways: 80% Success Rate
- Many Stressed Women Abandon Healthy Lifestyle Habits: Simple Acupressure Technique Offers a Solution
- To Physicians: New Discoveries in Acupressure Promise Everything From Alertness to Pain and Stress Management
- A new do-it-yourself approach to acupressure alleviates stress and, in turn neutralizes cold, flu an
- Eating Disorders
- Joe resolves his Anorexia...and more
- Love, diligence and an eating disorder
- Michal describes what it is like to be free from an eating disorder
- Two Year Bulimia Problem Gets Major Assist in One Hour
- A Bulimia "one session wonder"
- Bulimia in Brazil
- "Acceptance Tapping" - A powerful EFT treatment variation for severe compulsive disorders and bulimia.
- Anger Management
Table of Contents Help
The tabs on the right are shortcuts to where you have been:
- Previous Screen
- Previous Articles
- Previous Categories
- Start Page
- Hide Entire Menu
Swiping to the left will take you to the previous screen.
The folder icon indicates that more content is available. Click on the icon or the associated text, or swipe to the right to see the additional content.
Other Emotional Issues
Panic And Anxiety
Addressing Generalized Anxiety Disorder by aiming EFT at specific events
Note: This is one of 3,000 articles written prior to the updated Gold Standard (Official) EFT Tapping Tutorial™. As a result, it is likely outdated. It provides practical uses for EFT Tapping but you should also explore our newest advancement, Optimal EFT, by reading our free e-book, The Unseen Therapist™, and/or get help from a Certified EFT Practitioner.
Note: This article assumes you have a working knowledge of EFT. Newcomers can still learn from it but are advised to peruse our Free Gold Standard (Official) EFT Tutorial™ for a more complete understanding.
Study this case by Suzanne Lerner. It is an excellent example of addressing a global issue (Generalized Anxiety disorder) by going to some of the specific events underlying it. She says, "While medication is often used to treat Generalized Anxiety Disorder, my work with clients with EFT has shown that there can often be very specific "core events" that the person has repressed from everyday consciousness. When these underlying traumas are addressed, there can be a remarkable shift towards greater health and well-being."
Here's a wonderful example of how EFT can be helpful, even with clinically diagnosed levels of anxiety. As you'll see, getting to the core issues was crucial in this case.
Now, according to the National Institute of Mental Health, up to 6.8 million people suffer from "Generalized Anxiety Disorder" in a single year. They describe how people with generalized anxiety disorder (GAD) go through the day filled with exaggerated worry and tension, even though there is little or nothing to provoke it. They anticipate disaster and are overly concerned about health issues, money, family problems, or difficulties at work. Sometimes just the thought of getting through the day produces anxiety.
GAD is diagnosed when a person worries excessively about a variety of everyday problems for at least 6 months. People with GAD can't seem to get rid of their concerns, even though they usually realize that their anxiety is more intense than the situation warrants. They can't relax, they startle easily, and have difficulty concentrating. Often they have trouble falling asleep or staying asleep.
While medication is often used to treat Generalized Anxiety Disorder, my work with clients with EFT has shown that there can often be very specific "core events" that the person has repressed from everyday consciousness. When these underlying traumas are addressed, there can be a remarkable shift towards greater health and well-being.
Let me give a rather remarkable example. I worked with a woman who had anxiety about a variety of issues, including her child moving away to college, financial issues, and concerns about having to move. Most people would have some concern about these issues. However this woman's anxiety was really interfering with her general life, to the point that she decided to consult with me.
She talked to me about feeling helpless. So, I asked her if there was an earlier time, that reminded her of this same kind of feeling of helplessness. Well, it turns out that this woman, when she was quite young, had to have surgery on her eyes. Unfortunately, the hospitals at that time had no idea of the importance of preparing a young patient for what would be occurring. So this poor young girl woke up, in total darkness, unable to see.
Frantically she tried to touch her eyes, only to discover that her hands were tied down and immobilized! She was understandably panicked, crying out, "I'm blind" "What's going on!" "Mama!" Her mother was pleading with the nurses to untie her daughter's hands, so that she could feel the bandages covering her eyes, and reassure herself that she was all right. However, it took several minutes, to convince the staff that her daughter wouldn't tear the bandages off; that she just needed to have her hands free, so she could orient to her situation.
Well, we had plenty to tap on! We did rounds on a variety of issues, starting with the fear. Some of the set-up phrases included:
Even though I'm terrified, and no one seems to be helping, I deeply and completely accept all my feelings.
Even though I'm so frightened... Who wouldn't feel scared? I deeply and completely love all of me.
Even though I can't see anything, and there's just this blackness I know my momma's with me and she's gonna help me.
We then did several series of tapping using the Reminder phrases: I'm terrified, all this blackness, help, help me, I'm blind, I can't see, where is everybody, momma's gotta help me, momma's gonna help me, what's going on?
Once her level of intensity was close to zero on a scale of 0 to 10 for fear, we addressed the other aspects that were strong for her, including helplessness, anger, the physical sensations of her hands being bound, as well as the horror of the overwhelming darkness and the possible blindness itself.
Finally, after her level of intensity had come down on all these aspects, we began integrating her past childhood fears with her current, adult understandings:
Even though a part of me was frightened that I was blind I choose to remember now that it was just like having a bad dream; my eyes are fine and I can see.
Even though that happened, and I feel really sorry for that young innocent me, I now know I survived, and I can comfort the frightened part inside of me.
Even though a part of me wishes I'd never gone to that stupid hospital, I choose to know that I'm okay, I survived and thank heaven, I really can see … the surgery actually helped me. I'm so glad it's all over now, and that I am safe, healthy and whole.
In our next sessions we worked on reducing some of her current anxieties. She learned how to use EFT on her own to calm herself. She discovered how to recognize and address her "limiting beliefs." These are the beliefs that were stopping her from taking the practical steps she needed to take, such as investigating new areas where she might enjoy living. We then worked on issues around "losing her daughter," since her daughter was moving out to attend college.
I'm sure some seasoned EFT practitioners can relate to what then occurred. I just intuitively seemed to say "just the right words" that helped my client re-connect with an old repressed memory, and the emotions were suddenly there, available for healing. I was explaining to this woman how, over time, as she reduced her anxiety, she would be better able to tune into her intuition. For some reason, I gave the example of: "You know how you may be walking from work, and for some reason, instead of turning down the usual street, something tells you to go down another street instead?" Well, my client's breath caught, her voice shifted, and she said almost dreamy-like: "that's exactly how it happened." I could tell that something quite significant was happening, so I just said gently, "that's right, tell me more."
Well, I'm afraid she had an extremely sad tale to tell. It turns out, that when she was a schoolgirl, she was walking home with a neighborhood girl. There was a kind of "creepy" man, who seemed to be following them, but she couldn't tell for sure. She would check back every so often, and finally, it seemed he had disappeared. But she still warned her friend to be very careful. Unfortunately, her "inner radar" had been accurate, and she found out the next day that her little friend had been murdered. (If the intensity of this event touches you, you may want to pause and tap on your "collarbone point" or other favorite EFT point, taking a nice deep breath for a moment.. and letting it go. Whew!)
I was quite moved. How long had this woman been carrying all these intense feelings, with no one to help her sort them through! All this pain and guilt and grief and confusion. Now, it was time to heal... No wonder her nervous system was a bit more overwrought than most! She hadn't even consciously remembered this event until now, but her nervous system certainly had.
We worked on many layers of issues, including wishing she had never left her friend, fear that it could have happened to her, guilt that she hadn't stopped it, and grief that she hadn't had anyone to talk to about this tragedy. What a heavy burden to be carrying! She experienced quite an emotional release, as she stated:
Even though SHE doesn't blame me, he was the one who was bad, not me! I choose to deeply and completely love and accept and forgive myself. It wasn't my fault.
She cried and then expressed some surprise and wonder, as she finally was able to gain a more accurate perspective, a kind of cognitive shift, after all these years. She really was not to blame!
It was very moving for both of us. By the end of our session, she was able to look back at this event and understand that it was immensely sad that her friend had to die, but that it was way in the past, and she could now put it to rest.
Even though its really sad that she died, that was the past, it's over I'm okay, and I can move on.
This woman's "generalized anxiety" is now very much relieved. She is learning to deal skillfully with current worries on her own through a combination of tapping on fears in her current life, as well as continuing to tap away the "limiting beliefs" that previously stopped her from taking constructive actions. She is much more at peace, and so grateful to have lifted these traumas from her life. No medication was needed.
It always amazes me how much human beings can still function, having been through such extreme circumstances. Yet, on the other hand, how much more they can blossom in their lives, when these various traumas have been cleared.
PS: For the interest of the readers, it's useful to note that all of this EFT work occurred by telephone. I think this is a great example of how EFT telephone work can be immensely effective, and available to people around the world, even for intense traumas. Of course, in such cases, it's quite important to work with a therapist who is a skilled and experienced EFT Practitioner.
Ever grateful to you for getting the gift of EFT out into the World, Gary!
Suzanne ib Lerner, PhD
FOR MORE EFT HELP ...
Explore our newest advancement, Optimal EFT™, by reading our free e-book, The Unseen Therapist™.