- Other Emotional Issues
- Anger Management
- Getting over a gang rape--including a follow-up
- EFT alleviates horrendous self-hatred and rage
- Calming down Teddy, an emotionally disturbedboy
- EFT for anger underlying ALS
- Releasing anger at parents allowed healing of ulcerative colitis and headaches
- Suppressed anger expelled via the stomach
- EFT for self righteous anger
- Intuitional work with anger
- A First Class use of Surrogate EFT for Bill's anger and behavior issues
- EFT Transforms "hopping-mad" anger
- An unusual anger release
- Anger in a homeless shelter
- A murderous rage is calmed with EFT
- Josh: Building rapport with children--anger & behavior problems.
- EFT for anger helps both Ann and her angry husband--note the surrogate approach
- Unbearable hatred toward classmates
- Anger and Hostility are Proven to Damage Lungs; Simple Acupressure Technique Offers a Solution
- Anger case history from a client
- EFT for workplace anger
- EFT and severe mental illness--a murderous impulse
- An interesting approach to EFT and road rage
- Using EFT for on-the-spot "hopping mad" anger
- Surrogate EFT for fighting neighbors
- Brandon's Story--anger problem becomes history: (including an update at the end)
- EFT for deep seated anger
- EFT resolves long term resentment
- The EFT Cooling Tower Technique for Letting off Steam
- Anger management approach for a polarity responder
- The cause of our anger isn't always as it appears
- A client talks about her abusive childhood and her relief via EFT
- Resentments relieved 22 years after a poor birthing experience
- Stubborn anger issue falls to 0 with emphatic "say what you feel" wording.
- Road Rage and hives disappear in one session after getting to the core issue
- Press Release: Can a One-Minute Anger Management Technique Reduce Injury Risk and Chronic Illness?
- Releasing anger patterns with EFT
- A client resolves lifelong anger on her own
- Clearing anger and self loathing with EFT via introduction to inner child
- Employee overcomes anger at supervisor
- Jonas uses EFT for deeper meditation - dangerous PSA reading is now only 0.4
- School Counselor on anger and tension,
- Getting behind a successful EFT anger case
- New Technique Helps Avoid Heart Damage by Diffusing Anger Within Marital Arguments
- The client who continually felt resentful
- Anger case--the urge to explode
- Even dropping the kids off at school provides tapping opportunities - an anger issue
- Using EFT to self-calm an intense anger tantrum
- Useful thoughts on anger by Stewart Robertson
- Football Star Uses New Acupressure Technique to Calm his Road Rage -- No Drugs Needed
- Transgender person with abusive mother relieves rage with EFT
- A successful but involved depression case--"I don't want to tell you how well I'm doing"
- EFT resolves 12 years of postnatal depression
- What was REALLY causing Anne's depression?
- EFT student eases his wife's suicidal thoughts
- Louella: Depression, pesticides and low blood sugar
- Surrogate tapping and its effect on depression.
- Persistent EFT by Email on depression, anger and anxiety
- Cross dressing, sexuality and depression
- Long term severe depression gone in ten minutes
- Jaqui Crooks used EFT to overcome her Seasonal Affective Disorder (SAD)
- Maggie eliminates her own depression
- A textbook depression case--a "one minute wonder" complete with belief changes
- Approaching Depression with the Tearless Trauma Technique
- After 15 years of therapy, including shock therapy, EFT helps release depression
- A case that didn't work--and some suggestions
- A first class look at using EFT for a complex case - depression, guilt, grief and abandonment
- Was it really a manic/depressive disorder?
- Depression with numerous underlying issues
- Major results for anxiety, depression and social issues from one thorough EFT session and consistent EFT "homework"
- Success with a skeptical, depressed scientist - follow up included
- Depression, low self esteem and childhood traumas
- Persistence and a challenging case - Incest, abuse, depression, anxiety attacks, nightmares and flashbacks
- A mis-diagnosed manic/depressive disorder
- Newbie uses EFT on depression, allergic reactions and more
- Hair loss and facial blemishes fade after EFT relieves important emotional issues -- Depression too!
- Adrienne, a physician
- Gary discusses depression and some new ideas
- A non-therapist does superb work on depression--including her own.
- EFT on personal depression--"I was angry at myself"
- Press Release: New Method for Depression Often Works When Nothing Else Will
- 30+ years of depression gone in 2 minutes
- EFT saves a life by rapidly resolving suicidal depression
- Depression and confusion about God
- When depression comes from a related issue
- Depression Drugs and Migraine Drugs Don't Always Do The Job
- Dr. Patricia Carrington on depression--a detailed discussion, including meds
- Depression, height phobia and claustrophobia eliminated in one session
- Depression related to guilt
- EFT instead of shock treatments?
- From depressed and suicidal ... to ... "I laugh all the time
- Depression on Death Row
- EFT Newcomer eliminates his own deep depression and anxiety disorder
- An intimate look at Depression
- Panic And Anxiety
- Getting to the core of "Mark's" anxiety
- EFT for overeating and panic attacks
- Performance anxiety at a music camp
- Gayla uses EFT for panic
- Travel Anxiety--using the Tell the Story Technique
- Febrile convulsions and related panic attacks subside--not one attack in the two years since she learned to use EFT
- Successful surrogate tapping for surgery anxiety
- Persistence and Panic Attacks - Quality results on a stubborn issue
- Husband relieves wife of major panic attack
- EFT newcomer rids himself of social anxiety
- Relief for another stress related cough
- Using EFT for panic when nobody is around
- New Method for Treating Anxiety Works When Conventional Treatments Fail
- Clearing social anxiety with EFT
- Two surrogate tapping cases: Dental anxiety and severe stomach ache
- Panic Attacks: Getting behind the thought process
- Current "in your face" anxiety and stress case
- EFT makes good progress with panic, agoraphobia and feeling like a failure
- Detective work crucial in relief for panic attacks
- Combining EFT with the Inner Theater approach for panic attacks
- Testing your EFT work: Feeling trapped and panic attacks
- A Quality "How To Do It" Session for Fear and Anxiety
- Diagnosed as a schizophrenic, Gregoire had anxiety, stress and insomnia
- Medical school test anxiety--from C's and D's to A's and B's
- Success story with 10 day anxiety attack
- Sports anxiety, heat sensitivity, being away from home, loneliness, fear of insects.
- 20 year old abduction anxiety calmed with EFT
- Collapsing a client's anxiety from the 9/11 disaster--with 4 year follow-up
- Anxiety and the fear of being alone
- EFT student uses tapping to immediately calm down after a major car accident
- Imagination tapping on the finger points reduces stress level to zero
- Using EFT for a client who feels out of control.
- One EFT round with Deborah's daughter relieves performance anxiety
- Surgery anxiety and EFT
- EFT helps adult learners overcome school and math anxiety
- EFT on a case of extreme separation anxiety in a dog and the importance of Core Issues for Animals
- Study Shows Simple Drug-Free Acupressure Technique Reduces Dental Anxiety
- Detective work provides help for an anxiety disorder
- Anxiety, eating and more
- Success in neutralizing unwanted memories without the client disclosing the content
- Newcomer uses EFT to collapse his own panic-attacks and writes letter to "Quackwatch"
- A detailed panic attack case
- Eric Robins, MD and Lisa Cox on surgery anxieties
- Severe anxiety client has his life back
- EFT Newbie resolves her own major trip anxiety
- Panic attacks and heart palpitations subside after doing EFT on dreams
- Courtroom anxiety AND anxiety about calling employers
- One EFT phone session resolves driving test anxiety -- and the benefits expand
- Panic attacks and fear of darkness
- Addressing Generalized Anxiety Disorder by aiming EFT at specific events
- Non-therapist relieves stress in the form of a temper tantrum
- EFT for panic attacks
- Who Would Have Thought That Acupressure Could Relieve Social Anxiety Better Than Drugs or Therapy?
- Daddy left me. Will my new boyfriend leave me too?
- Daily tapping for Panic Attacks
- Anxiety related to atrial fibrillation is calmed with EFT
- Performance anxiety and many aspects
- EFT brings relief for trauma, anxiety, and an overactive bladder, all in less than an hour
- Test anxiety
- Using EFT for Social Anxiety Disorder
- Surgeon Uses New Acupressure Technique to Lower Surgery Risk
- Overcoming Test Anxiety with New Drug-Free Technique: 80% Success Rate
- OCD (Obsessive Compulsive Disorder)
- A grief case with many aspects
- Uncontrollable grief resolved with EFT
- Attorney helps client by using EFT for long term unresolved grief
- Relieving grief over the death of Higgins the dog
- When certain music triggers grief and sadness
- Freedom from grief in only 15 minutes
- Using EFT for Bereavement
- EFT turns grief into beauty
- EFT eliminates unnecessary grief emotions and softens the grieving process - includes 2 month follow up
- EFT brings healing to a whole family while one woman heals her grief
- Community relief from grief with EFT
- This new Widow was helped in many ways by EFT
- EFT for grief and pet loss
- Getting to important emotions by doing EFT while looking in the mirror
- Tapping through grief leads to incredible insight and relief
- EFT for pain and grief for a birth mother who wasn't allowed to see her child -- a touching story with a happy ending
- An easy grief case with an aspect that showed up later
- Imaginary tapping sends grief away
- EFT setup statements for grief
- Fresh grief and a double benefit.
- Grief changes to smiles
- EFT may be a great relief to grief-stricken nurses who lose patients
- Using EFT to improve a relationship
- EFT, One Minute Wonders and Opening to Love
- EFT by telephone smoothes out a tense family reunion
- Insights into picking up another person
- EFT heals a broken heart in rapid time
- Relationships, EFT and Spirituality
- Improve relationships by Tapping in the Positive
- Using EFT for relationship issues--a detailed case
- Tapping on relationship issues
- Interesting way to use EFT & Tappy Bear for a broken heart
- "I didn't like kissing my wife after she drank coffee."
- Jack improves his relationship with his grandson using surrogate EFT
- Addressing relationship and family issues by tapping on photographs
- Tapping into a state of Love
- EFT resolves a 10 year heartbreak
- MD introduces an innovative idea that brings relief for stubborn relationship issue
- Finding the love you want by healing the inner child
- Relationship Issue: "My husband was being a jerk"
- Using EFT to prepare for a difficult encounter
- How clearing an intense cough led to improved family relationships--an EFT two-for-one EFT benefit
- Relationships - on "Being Right"
- Instant relationship fix?
- Relationship issue: A humorous approach
- What holds you back from your lover?
- EFT is instrumental in bringing a couple back together
- Using EFT for a Broken Heart
- The Healing Power of Forgiveness
- Love, Intuition, Patience and EFT help a schizophrenic 15 year old.
- EFT for Couples
- Combining role playing with EFT for relationships and other issues
- Relationship success after finding core issue
- EFT to heal family relationships
- Using EFT on "blocking thoughts" to good relationships
- Surrogate EFT heals a broken heart for a 16 year old boy
- Retired Stanford professor fixes his wife's computer with EFT
- Shared tapping provides benefits for relationship issues
- EFT Instead of the psych ward after a relationship breaks up
- Taking relationships work to a new level--The Odd Couple
- EFT and meditation for a broken heart
- EFT for love pain
- Reframes (seeing things differently) for guilt, shame and sorrow
- Restless leg syndrome linked to guilt - 20 years of restlessness gone in 2 sessions
- How to reduce guilt via an EFT "Tapping Circle" -- keeping privacy for everyone
- The "Tapping the System" Technique
- The Rolling EFT process
- Using EFT for unnecessary guilt - Did EFT get someone's husband to cook dinner?
- How Guilt and Shame Block the Law of Attraction
- Stubborn guilt finally subsides after doing a search on our website and DVDs for ideas
- EFT and infertility
- A bout of cystitis turns out to be a bout of guilt
- Writing a letter
- New Acupressure Discovery Reduces Stress 4 Ways: 80% Success Rate
- Many Stressed Women Abandon Healthy Lifestyle Habits: Simple Acupressure Technique Offers a Solution
- To Physicians: New Discoveries in Acupressure Promise Everything From Alertness to Pain and Stress Management
- A new do-it-yourself approach to acupressure alleviates stress and, in turn neutralizes cold, flu an
- Psychotherapy Dramatically Improved By New 'Acupuncture Without Needles' Technique
- Eating Disorders
- Two Year Bulimia Problem Gets Major Assist in One Hour
- A Bulimia "one session wonder"
- Bulimia in Brazil
- "Acceptance Tapping" - A powerful EFT treatment variation for severe compulsive disorders and bulimia.
- Joe resolves his Anorexia...and more
- Love, diligence and an eating disorder
- Michal describes what it is like to be free from an eating disorder
- Anger Management
Nancy Morris walks us through a complex childhood molestation/abuse case
Note: This is one of 3,000 articles written prior to the updated Gold Standard (Official) EFT Tapping Tutorial™. It provides practical uses for EFT Tapping and most EFT'ers should find it very helpful. However, if your benefits are temporary or a more in-depth approach is needed, you are urged to (1) consult The Gold Standard EFT Tapping Tutorial, (2) Explore our newest advancement, Optimal EFT, by reading our free e-book, The Unseen Therapist, and/or (3) get help from a Certified EFT Practitioner.
Some cases are very intricate and require exceptional skill and detective work before they can be successfully unraveled. Nancy Morris takes us through some sessions with such a case that are loaded with insights and useful ideas. Please note that everything was done over the phone between California and Australia.
This is a very intimate case with many sensitive issues. I want to sincerely thank Sarah (not her real name) for giving her permission to submit it. Her courage in exploring these issues so honestly may encourage others who’ve been abused to seek help in freeing themselves from past traumas. I use quotation marks to denote what is being said; it may not be exact wording but it is very, very close to what was said.
This is a long write up and is only the beginning of collapsing many events and aspects with Sarah. It is offered as a sample of the complexity that can lie behind a current issue … an issue that as an adult one might not even associate with childhood trauma.
Session #1: Sarah contacted me from Australia wanting to work on her sexuality and not feeling comfortable as a woman. (As I’m in California and we’ve never met in person, this case is an excellent example of how well EFT can work over the phone with someone you’ve never met.) Sarah said that she felt like she “had a brick wall around me”. (Notice as this continues how we work to dismantle the “brick wall” without really referring to it.)
Sarah began by explaining that she’d had a difficult upbringing: her father was physically violent with Sarah’s mom, and Sarah felt, even as a child, that she had to take care of her Mom. She learned that it was “not safe to be a woman”. We tapped this from an intensity level of 10 down to a 2 on a scale of 0 to 10.
Then a specific event where her Mom was finally leaving this bad situation and her father yelled “Don’t you dare leave this house” and pushed her Mom hard against a door handle. Using the movie technique we got this from an intensity level of 9 down to one-half.
Sarah realized that she was afraid to be a female; her mom was cute, tiny, soft and feminine, sexy and liked to flirt, (and she allowed herself to be abused). As a child Sarah was embarrassed by her mother’s behavior; we tapped on all these specific aspects and the intensity level went from 8 out of 10 to 0.
Besides being embarrassed by her Mom’s femininity AND learning it was not safe to be a woman, Sarah was also bombarded with messages directly to her to “stop showing off” and “don’t be a hussy” when she tried to look good as a teen. Her mother would meet Sarah’s efforts to look her best with put downs and sarcasm. This had an intensity of 11 on a scale of 0 to 10 and we tapped it down to 0 using her mother’s specific phrases. Sarah asked for EFT homework and we came up with:
Even though I’ve had a brick wall around me, I choose to feel beautiful and sexy as I am. This statement felt really good to Sarah when we developed it together.
Session #2: I asked Sarah how her EFT homework had gone. She reported that she’d tried to do the homework (Sarah was an experienced EFT user) but she found she could not say: I choose to feel beautiful and sexy as I am and she gave up. However, she was able to report two things the homework had brought up: (1) Anger at her ex-husband who had cheated on her. (2) Sexual abuse by her grandparents when she was 4-5 years old. We decided to work on the earlier and more intense issue of sexual abuse.
As a child Sarah would stay at her grandparents’ place quite a lot. I suggested that we use the Tell the Story Technique. (NOTE: There are many difficult aspects here and I am revealing them in the order in which Sarah revealed them during her story; I did not ask her for the crescendo ahead of time sensing that it would be too difficult for her.) The story starts with 4 or 5 year old Sarah lying on the floor at her grandparents’ house with both her grandparents touching her naked body. As a child this was very confusing because Sarah hated that they were touching her in this way, she knew it was wrong, and yet she liked the body sensations that she felt. This produced a great deal of shame. We tapped on the shame aspect and on the story up until this point.
Even though Gram and Gramps were touching me and I knew it was wrong to enjoy it, I was a good girl anyway.
Even though I feel all this shame…
Reminder phrases: Gram and Gramps (Sarah’s names) touching me … It felt good … All this shame … All this embarrassment … I was just a child … They shouldn’t have done this to me … All this shame … My body just responded … It was natural for my body to respond …It’s not my fault …It’s just natural.
After a few rounds of tapping Sarah’s level of intensity dropped from a 10 to a 6 and another aspect came up. I simply followed her lead. Sarah said she remembered her grandparents laughing at her responses, as if they thought it was cute that her body was responding. To make matters worse, there were other people there who Sarah’s grandparents had invited over to their house for this event. Sarah’s intensity was understandably a 10+ on this aspect.
Even though Gram and Gramps laughed at my responses…
Even though I responded to their touch and they laughed at me, I love and forgive myself.
I purposely varied these setup statements making sure each included the aspect of her grandparents “laughing” and concluding with “forgiving” herself for her response. We tapped several rounds with reminder phrases such as:
I was on the floor … Gram and Gramps were touching me … They could tell it felt good to me … They laughed about my response … They laughed at me … In front of all those people …My responses were natural … They should not have been doing this to their little granddaughter …They were bad grandparents … It wasn’t my fault … They were laughing at my response … I was at their mercy … I was a good kid … They were bad grandparents … It wasn’t my fault … They are the ones who should feel shame … I love and forgive myself.
Sarah’s intensity went from a 10+ down to an 8, then a 0.
At this point, we returned to the previous aspect (shame) which we had gotten down to a level of intensity of 6 out of 10. I asked where in her body she felt the shame, and she said it was in her chest and it was a 10 out of 10. We were able to quickly tap the feeling in her chest down from a 10 to a 0 and Sarah immediately reported that now what she felt was anger.
This sounded like excellent progress to me! Anger seemed like an appropriate response once the shame subsided. The anger was a 10+.
Even though I feel so angry that Gram and Gramps abused me…
I encouraged Sarah to interject her own words whenever she wanted to and asked if she was averse to a little rough language. She laughed and said “Not at all”. So we began tapping the basic points with reminder phrases:
Gram and Gramps abused me … How could they? … Damn them … All this anger … It affected my whole life … Just for their selfishness … Damn them to hell (her words) … This Anger … All this anger … It’s been with me so long … I want to let it go.
We were often shouting together. Sarah walked around her house with her phone as we tapped on the anger; this helped her release a lot of energy. Sarah then interjected that she’d been afraid of their power as a child. I assured her she was correct in being afraid of their power; she’d been left in their care and was only 4 or 5 years old, she was dependent on them for her survival and felt she had to keep them from being angry with her. We tapped on this fear aspect until it completely cleared.
At this point, I suggested that we go back to the “Tell the story” technique and asked Sarah to start from the beginning. I told Sarah to stop the minute she felt any intensity. (NOTE: I’ve found that clients “hear” this instruction and they agree to do it, but then always seem to go further in the story without reporting that they feel intensity. I interrupt when I sense they are overreaching where they are comfortable and ask for their intensity level.)
Sarah began: “I was at my grandparents’ house, there were people there, they had me lying on the floor and they were touching me…” Here I interrupted and asked Sarah her intensity level and she said it was an 8. So we tapped some more on the story up to this point with these reminder phrases: I was at my grandparents’ … There were other people there … Gram and Gramps were touching me … I felt ashamed … I was afraid.
After two rounds of EFT the intensity went down to a 5 (from an 8) and another round brought it down to a 1. (NOTE: Since this was a pivotal event in Sarah’s life AND it had many aspects to it (Fear, Embarrassment, Shame, Anger, etc.) it made sense to me that we would have to work in two steps: (1) Reduce the intensity of each emotion as it came up and then (2) return to the overall story to reduce the intensity of the entire “moving picture” in her memory.)
At this point in the story, Sarah said she had felt so confused during these events, she’d hated what they were doing but liked the body sensations. Again some shame came up. Sarah rated the confusion/shame at a level of intensity of 10 out of 10. We tapped this down to a reasonable level and Sarah was able, very bravely, to say that she felt “dirty, worthless, like a piece of meat, not human”. My heart went out to her and I appreciated her for her courage in admitting this out loud. Sarah rated her intensity on this at a 10+. We tapped.
Even though Gram and Gramps made me feel worthless, I know it wasn’t my fault.
Even though they made me feel dirty and not human, I love and forgive myself.
Even though I felt like a piece of meat, I was only a child and it wasn’t my fault that they did that to me.
We tapped several rounds going from a 10+, to a 6, to a 4, and then 0.
I asked Sarah if she felt ready to continue with her story and she was. She said there was still the most intense part to come and that she’d never said this aloud before. I encouraged her to do what felt right to her and she said she wanted to go ahead. I asked her to begin back at the beginning, and Sarah began her story as before: “I was at my grandparents’ house, there were people there, they had me lying on the floor and they were touching me; then Gramps put his fingers in me and he was moving them around…” I interrupted Sarah and asked her intensity; it was a 10. We stopped here and tapped at length on this new piece of the story until the intensity was reduced.
Sarah continued her story moving on to the fact that what he was doing to her felt good to her so she started moving around and they laughed at her. At this point she had no intensity on these aspects because we had worked on them before. Sarah was able to repeat the entire story without intensity and ended by saying that after all this happened, the whole group would then go into the kitchen where food was ready and they would eat. Sarah realized she had connected food with being rewarded, being a good girl, and it was a relief of her fear and stress. Sarah understood how this affected her overeating now. We would do more work on this in further sessions.
I can report that by Session #4 (this write up covers Sessions #1 and #2) Sarah no longer felt that “brick wall” around her and was noticing changes in her overeating.
Big thank you to Gary who is such a wonderful and thorough teacher.
Warm hugs, Nancy Morris, EFT-ADV
FOR MORE EFT HELP ...
Explore our newest advancement, Optimal EFT, by reading our free e-book, The Unseen Therapist.