- Other Emotional Issues
- Anger Management
- Suppressed anger expelled via the stomach
- EFT for self righteous anger
- Getting over a gang rape--including a follow-up
- EFT alleviates horrendous self-hatred and rage
- Calming down Teddy, an emotionally disturbedboy
- EFT for anger underlying ALS
- Releasing anger at parents allowed healing of ulcerative colitis and headaches
- Anger in a homeless shelter
- A murderous rage is calmed with EFT
- Intuitional work with anger
- A First Class use of Surrogate EFT for Bill's anger and behavior issues
- EFT Transforms "hopping-mad" anger
- An unusual anger release
- Anger case history from a client
- EFT for workplace anger
- Josh: Building rapport with children--anger & behavior problems.
- EFT for anger helps both Ann and her angry husband--note the surrogate approach
- Unbearable hatred toward classmates
- Anger and Hostility are Proven to Damage Lungs; Simple Acupressure Technique Offers a Solution
- Brandon's Story--anger problem becomes history: (including an update at the end)
- EFT for deep seated anger
- EFT and severe mental illness--a murderous impulse
- An interesting approach to EFT and road rage
- Using EFT for on-the-spot "hopping mad" anger
- Surrogate EFT for fighting neighbors
- A client talks about her abusive childhood and her relief via EFT
- Resentments relieved 22 years after a poor birthing experience
- EFT resolves long term resentment
- The EFT Cooling Tower Technique for Letting off Steam
- Anger management approach for a polarity responder
- The cause of our anger isn't always as it appears
- A client resolves lifelong anger on her own
- Clearing anger and self loathing with EFT via introduction to inner child
- Stubborn anger issue falls to 0 with emphatic "say what you feel" wording.
- Road Rage and hives disappear in one session after getting to the core issue
- Press Release: Can a One-Minute Anger Management Technique Reduce Injury Risk and Chronic Illness?
- Releasing anger patterns with EFT
- Employee overcomes anger at supervisor
- Jonas uses EFT for deeper meditation - dangerous PSA reading is now only 0.4
- School Counselor on anger and tension,
- Getting behind a successful EFT anger case
- New Technique Helps Avoid Heart Damage by Diffusing Anger Within Marital Arguments
- The client who continually felt resentful
- Anger case--the urge to explode
- Even dropping the kids off at school provides tapping opportunities - an anger issue
- Using EFT to self-calm an intense anger tantrum
- Useful thoughts on anger by Stewart Robertson
- Football Star Uses New Acupressure Technique to Calm his Road Rage -- No Drugs Needed
- Transgender person with abusive mother relieves rage with EFT
- Louella: Depression, pesticides and low blood sugar
- A successful but involved depression case--"I don't want to tell you how well I'm doing"
- EFT resolves 12 years of postnatal depression
- What was REALLY causing Anne's depression?
- EFT student eases his wife's suicidal thoughts
- Maggie eliminates her own depression
- Surrogate tapping and its effect on depression.
- Persistent EFT by Email on depression, anger and anxiety
- Cross dressing, sexuality and depression
- Long term severe depression gone in ten minutes
- Jaqui Crooks used EFT to overcome her Seasonal Affective Disorder (SAD)
- Was it really a manic/depressive disorder?
- A textbook depression case--a "one minute wonder" complete with belief changes
- Approaching Depression with the Tearless Trauma Technique
- After 15 years of therapy, including shock therapy, EFT helps release depression
- A case that didn't work--and some suggestions
- A first class look at using EFT for a complex case - depression, guilt, grief and abandonment
- A mis-diagnosed manic/depressive disorder
- Depression with numerous underlying issues
- Success with a skeptical, depressed scientist - follow up included
- Depression, low self esteem and childhood traumas
- A non-therapist does superb work on depression--including her own.
- Newbie uses EFT on depression, allergic reactions and more
- Hair loss and facial blemishes fade after EFT relieves important emotional issues -- Depression too!
- Adrienne, a physician
- Gary discusses depression and some new ideas
- EFT on personal depression--"I was angry at myself"
- Press Release: New Method for Depression Often Works When Nothing Else Will
- 30+ years of depression gone in 2 minutes
- EFT saves a life by rapidly resolving suicidal depression
- Depression and confusion about God
- When depression comes from a related issue
- Depression Drugs and Migraine Drugs Don't Always Do The Job
- Dr. Patricia Carrington on depression--a detailed discussion, including meds
- Depression, height phobia and claustrophobia eliminated in one session
- Depression related to guilt
- EFT instead of shock treatments?
- From depressed and suicidal ... to ... "I laugh all the time
- Depression on Death Row
- EFT Newcomer eliminates his own deep depression and anxiety disorder
- An intimate look at Depression
- Panic And Anxiety
- Successful surrogate tapping for surgery anxiety
- Persistence and Panic Attacks - Quality results on a stubborn issue
- Getting to the core of "Mark's" anxiety
- EFT for overeating and panic attacks
- Performance anxiety at a music camp
- Gayla uses EFT for panic
- Travel Anxiety--using the Tell the Story Technique
- Two surrogate tapping cases: Dental anxiety and severe stomach ache
- Panic Attacks: Getting behind the thought process
- Husband relieves wife of major panic attack
- EFT newcomer rids himself of social anxiety
- Relief for another stress related cough
- Using EFT for panic when nobody is around
- New Method for Treating Anxiety Works When Conventional Treatments Fail
- Clearing social anxiety with EFT
- A Quality "How To Do It" Session for Fear and Anxiety
- Diagnosed as a schizophrenic, Gregoire had anxiety, stress and insomnia
- Current "in your face" anxiety and stress case
- EFT makes good progress with panic, agoraphobia and feeling like a failure
- Detective work crucial in relief for panic attacks
- Combining EFT with the Inner Theater approach for panic attacks
- Testing your EFT work: Feeling trapped and panic attacks
- Anxiety and the fear of being alone
- EFT student uses tapping to immediately calm down after a major car accident
- Medical school test anxiety--from C's and D's to A's and B's
- Success story with 10 day anxiety attack
- Sports anxiety, heat sensitivity, being away from home, loneliness, fear of insects.
- 20 year old abduction anxiety calmed with EFT
- Collapsing a client's anxiety from the 9/11 disaster--with 4 year follow-up
- Detective work provides help for an anxiety disorder
- Imagination tapping on the finger points reduces stress level to zero
- Using EFT for a client who feels out of control.
- One EFT round with Deborah's daughter relieves performance anxiety
- Surgery anxiety and EFT
- EFT helps adult learners overcome school and math anxiety
- EFT on a case of extreme separation anxiety in a dog and the importance of Core Issues for Animals
- Study Shows Simple Drug-Free Acupressure Technique Reduces Dental Anxiety
- Anxiety, eating and more
- Success in neutralizing unwanted memories without the client disclosing the content
- Newcomer uses EFT to collapse his own panic-attacks and writes letter to "Quackwatch"
- A detailed panic attack case
- Eric Robins, MD and Lisa Cox on surgery anxieties
- Severe anxiety client has his life back
- EFT Newbie resolves her own major trip anxiety
- Panic attacks and heart palpitations subside after doing EFT on dreams
- Courtroom anxiety AND anxiety about calling employers
- One EFT phone session resolves driving test anxiety -- and the benefits expand
- Panic attacks and fear of darkness
- Addressing Generalized Anxiety Disorder by aiming EFT at specific events
- Non-therapist relieves stress in the form of a temper tantrum
- EFT for panic attacks
- Who Would Have Thought That Acupressure Could Relieve Social Anxiety Better Than Drugs or Therapy?
- Daddy left me. Will my new boyfriend leave me too?
- Surgeon Uses New Acupressure Technique to Lower Surgery Risk
- Overcoming Test Anxiety with New Drug-Free Technique: 80% Success Rate
- Daily tapping for Panic Attacks
- Anxiety related to atrial fibrillation is calmed with EFT
- Performance anxiety and many aspects
- EFT brings relief for trauma, anxiety, and an overactive bladder, all in less than an hour
- Test anxiety
- Using EFT for Social Anxiety Disorder
- OCD (Obsessive Compulsive Disorder)
- Attorney helps client by using EFT for long term unresolved grief
- A grief case with many aspects
- Uncontrollable grief resolved with EFT
- Freedom from grief in only 15 minutes
- Relieving grief over the death of Higgins the dog
- When certain music triggers grief and sadness
- Using EFT for Bereavement
- EFT turns grief into beauty
- EFT brings healing to a whole family while one woman heals her grief
- Community relief from grief with EFT
- This new Widow was helped in many ways by EFT
- EFT for grief and pet loss
- Getting to important emotions by doing EFT while looking in the mirror
- Tapping through grief leads to incredible insight and relief
- EFT setup statements for grief
- An easy grief case with an aspect that showed up later
- Imaginary tapping sends grief away
- EFT may be a great relief to grief-stricken nurses who lose patients
- Fresh grief and a double benefit.
- Grief changes to smiles
- EFT heals a broken heart in rapid time
- Using EFT to improve a relationship
- EFT, One Minute Wonders and Opening to Love
- EFT by telephone smoothes out a tense family reunion
- Insights into picking up another person
- Interesting way to use EFT & Tappy Bear for a broken heart
- Relationships, EFT and Spirituality
- Improve relationships by Tapping in the Positive
- Using EFT for relationship issues--a detailed case
- Tapping on relationship issues
- EFT resolves a 10 year heartbreak
- "I didn't like kissing my wife after she drank coffee."
- Jack improves his relationship with his grandson using surrogate EFT
- Addressing relationship and family issues by tapping on photographs
- Tapping into a state of Love
- MD introduces an innovative idea that brings relief for stubborn relationship issue
- Finding the love you want by healing the inner child
- Relationship Issue: "My husband was being a jerk"
- Using EFT to prepare for a difficult encounter
- How clearing an intense cough led to improved family relationships--an EFT two-for-one EFT benefit
- Relationships - on "Being Right"
- Instant relationship fix?
- Relationship issue: A humorous approach
- What holds you back from your lover?
- EFT is instrumental in bringing a couple back together
- Combining role playing with EFT for relationships and other issues
- Using EFT for a Broken Heart
- The Healing Power of Forgiveness
- Love, Intuition, Patience and EFT help a schizophrenic 15 year old.
- EFT for Couples
- Retired Stanford professor fixes his wife's computer with EFT
- Relationship success after finding core issue
- EFT to heal family relationships
- Using EFT on "blocking thoughts" to good relationships
- Surrogate EFT heals a broken heart for a 16 year old boy
- EFT for love pain
- Shared tapping provides benefits for relationship issues
- EFT Instead of the psych ward after a relationship breaks up
- Taking relationships work to a new level--The Odd Couple
- EFT and meditation for a broken heart
- Reframes (seeing things differently) for guilt, shame and sorrow
- Restless leg syndrome linked to guilt - 20 years of restlessness gone in 2 sessions
- How to reduce guilt via an EFT "Tapping Circle" -- keeping privacy for everyone
- The "Tapping the System" Technique
- The Rolling EFT process
- Using EFT for unnecessary guilt - Did EFT get someone's husband to cook dinner?
- How Guilt and Shame Block the Law of Attraction
- Stubborn guilt finally subsides after doing a search on our website and DVDs for ideas
- EFT and infertility
- A bout of cystitis turns out to be a bout of guilt
- Writing a letter
- New Acupressure Discovery Reduces Stress 4 Ways: 80% Success Rate
- Many Stressed Women Abandon Healthy Lifestyle Habits: Simple Acupressure Technique Offers a Solution
- A new do-it-yourself approach to acupressure alleviates stress and, in turn neutralizes cold, flu an
- Psychotherapy Dramatically Improved By New 'Acupuncture Without Needles' Technique
- Eating Disorders
- Two Year Bulimia Problem Gets Major Assist in One Hour
- A Bulimia "one session wonder"
- Bulimia in Brazil
- Joe resolves his Anorexia...and more
- Love, diligence and an eating disorder
- Michal describes what it is like to be free from an eating disorder
- Anger Management
Table of Contents Help
The tabs on the right are shortcuts to where you have been:
- Previous Screen
- Previous Articles
- Previous Categories
- Start Page
- Hide Entire Menu
Swiping to the left will take you to the previous screen.
The folder icon indicates that more content is available. Click on the icon or the associated text, or swipe to the right to see the additional content.
Other Emotional Issues
Louella: Depression, pesticides and low blood sugar
Note: This is one of 3,000 articles written prior to the updated Gold Standard (Official) EFT Tapping Tutorial™. As a result, it is likely outdated. It provides practical uses for EFT Tapping but you should also explore our newest advancement, Optimal EFT, by reading our free e-book, The Unseen Therapist™, and/or get help from a Certified EFT Practitioner.
This is an involved case of depression that I am pleased to have been a part of. It is worthy of study because it points out the values of persistence as well as the vital role nutrition sometimes plays. As you will see, what someone eats or drinks can literally cause depression.
Louella, age 41, had suffered major bouts of depression since age 9. When she first walked in my door, she was suicidal. Tears came easily and "hopeless" seemed to be her favorite word. After a few rounds of EFT, the tears subsided and the depression dropped from a 10 to a 6. There was even a smile or two. But that was all we could do. She said she was exhausted (this turned out to be a clue to her problem since substance sensitivities tend to sap one's energy) and went to sleep for 4 hours. She usually slept 15 hours or so per day, partly because she was so exhausted and partly because it was an escape from the world.
When Louella awoke she was feeling "a little better". She lives 2 hours away and I invited her to use a spare bedroom so we could do more EFT that night and again the next day. She accepted and we began applying EFT to her back pain (which subsided) and her asthma (which went away and never came back, even though it formerly required daily medication). Also, we applied EFT to 3 traumatic memories which were clear candidates as underlying causes for her depression. EFT handled them rather routinely and they, too, never came back. As the ensuing weeks unfolded, and even in her most depressed moments, she could still discuss these events without tears or emotional disturbance. She left that first session at a SUDs [0-10 intensity] level of 4 or 5 which she thought was a great improvement. I was less than delighted, however, because I had expected the whole thing to lift. Such had been my previous experience.
We talked on the phone 2 days later and her depression had come back full scale. The traumatic memories and the asthma, however, remained non problems. She came back weekly for 5 more 24 hour sessions and, on each visit, we applied EFT to more traumatic memories and other events in her life (15 or 20 altogether - I lost count) and ALL of them went to zero and didn't come back. Nonetheless, each time she would arrive with her depression at an 8-10 level and leave with it at 4-6. The tapping was, apparently, only a temporary help for the main issue - depression.
After hundreds of cases with EFT, I can safely say that my expectations for success are usually met UNLESS there is toxic interference with the energy system. Once the sensitivity is located and eliminated, then the problem becomes easy to handle with EFT. Louella, as it turns out, had a known sensitivity to sugar. Also, she had some inherited tendencies along these lines since her mother and other relatives were sensitive to a variety of foods and other substances.
In Louella's case, I asked her to pay attention to her emotions and, when they became particularly acute, to notice what may have just happened in her world. Did she just change clothes, use soap or brush her teeth? What did she just eat or drink that may have contributed to her emotional state? She kept a meticulous journal of everything going on in this regard but was unable to identify anything. The depression persisted. Finally, during our 6th weekly session, she was feeling relatively good one afternoon (about a 4) but then ate a commercially grown (non-organic) apple. Within moments she experienced extreme anxiety (bordering on panic) and her depression was at a 10. She became very tired and went to her room and slept for 4 or 5 hours. To me, she acted like she had taken a drug.
When she awoke, she felt better and we spent the evening talking and applying EFT. At about 8 am the next morning, I woke her up to find that she was feeling "OK" (about a 6). Since I didn't know for sure if that apple was the real culprit, I asked her to eat another one. She reluctantly agreed and I fetched an apple out of the same bag as the original apple. Within minutes, she was anxious again. She then became drowsy (drugged?) and slept for another 4 or 5 hours.
While it was apparent that something in that apple was bothering her, we didn't know if it was the apple itself or some pesticide(s) that might be in it. So we established a "Detective Diet" (my name) to establish which foods might be contributing to her problem. She was to eat ONLY ORGANIC FOODS (to eliminate pesticides from the equation) and could only eat ONE FOOD AT A TIME and had to WAIT ONE HOUR BETWEEN FOODS. She then kept a journal of the foods she ate and any reaction she had to them. The beauty of this diet is that it isolates foods so that you can look back and notice if there was any link between what one eats and their emotional reactions.
Interestingly enough, none of the foods seemed to bother her except whole wheat. It tended to make her a bit drowsy, but nothing serious. Nonetheless, FROM THE MOMENT SHE STARTED THE DIET THE DEPRESSION BEGAN TO LIFT AND WITHIN 24 HOURS IT WAS GONE. That was 5 weeks ago. Since then she has slept normally, gone on long hikes with friends, enjoyed dancing AND she just got back from kicking up her heels for two weeks in Spain. THERE HAS BEEN NO SIGN OF DEPRESSION SINCE. It has been a flat out zero.
We can suspicion, of course, that pesticides are the culprit here. After all, that was the only thing conspicuously absent from her diet. If so, we don't know which pesticides get the finger of blame, at least not yet. But that's OK. We can discover those by a similar process of elimination. However, unless there is some big need to know, why bother? Why not just stay on the pure diet and quit poisoning oneself with pesticides and other foreign residues? We have more detective work to do here. This is still a case in progress and more will be done in time. But, for now, Louella is perfectly happy to keep things as they are.
Now here's a fascinating point. WHAT Louella ate may not have been the only thing causing her depressed state. HOW OFTEN SHE ATE may also have been important. In the process of doing all this, Louella's sister (who has hypoglycemia, a blood sugar problem) loaned her a device to self test her blood sugar levels. She tested her blood repeatedly throughout the day and found that, when depressed, her blood sugar level would often get dangerously low. As it turns out, Louella was hypoglycemic. Since the "Detective Diet" had her eating small amounts consistently throughout the day, her blood sugar was maintained at acceptable levels and thus the hypoglycemic symptoms (depression?) were kept at bay.
I am an engineer by academic training and don't pretend to be an expert in medicine or nutrition. However, I know scientific evidence when I see it. It is clear to me that hypoglycemia, pesticides or both deserve a round of boo's & hisses regarding Louella's depressed state. The exhaustion she felt was consistent with someone who had been drugged (by pesticides?) and/or suffered from low blood sugar. With these two offenders out of the way, the depression is nowhere to be seen. However, it is also scientific nonsense to generalize from one instance like this and say that all depression is due to pesticides and/or low blood sugar. It takes many case histories to support such a conclusion.
As it turns out, there is already support for the link between diet and emotional disorders. The phenomenon has been known for over 20 years and thus is hardly new. Louella has been studying this subject avidly and has brought to my attention several books which point to diet (particularly pesticides and low blood sugar) as the cause of many emotional disorders (including schizophrenia). One such book, PsychoNutrition, was written in 1976 by Carlton Fredericks, Ph.D. If you are interested, the copy I have gives the Library of Congress catalog card number as 75-16863, ISBN: 0-448-12000-3.
You should also know that Louella was at all times advised that I am not a therapist nor doctor and, where she deemed necessary, her professionals should be consulted.
Hugs to all, Gary
Two year follow-up
Louella called me two years later to say that her depression has stayed away except for a couple of brief occasions when she had "boy friend problems." Even then, it wasn't really depression. Just a case of the "temporary downs."
FOR MORE EFT HELP ...
Explore our newest advancement, Optimal EFT™, by reading our free e-book, The Unseen Therapist™.