- Other Emotional Issues
- Anger Management
- EFT Transforms "hopping-mad" anger
- An unusual anger release
- Anger in a homeless shelter
- A murderous rage is calmed with EFT
- Intuitional work with anger
- A First Class use of Surrogate EFT for Bill's anger and behavior issues
- Unbearable hatred toward classmates
- Anger and Hostility are Proven to Damage Lungs; Simple Acupressure Technique Offers a Solution
- Anger case history from a client
- EFT for workplace anger
- Josh: Building rapport with children--anger & behavior problems.
- EFT for anger helps both Ann and her angry husband--note the surrogate approach
- Using EFT for on-the-spot "hopping mad" anger
- Surrogate EFT for fighting neighbors
- Brandon's Story--anger problem becomes history: (including an update at the end)
- EFT for deep seated anger
- EFT and severe mental illness--a murderous impulse
- An interesting approach to EFT and road rage
- Anger management approach for a polarity responder
- The cause of our anger isn't always as it appears
- A client talks about her abusive childhood and her relief via EFT
- Resentments relieved 22 years after a poor birthing experience
- EFT resolves long term resentment
- The EFT Cooling Tower Technique for Letting off Steam
- Press Release: Can a One-Minute Anger Management Technique Reduce Injury Risk and Chronic Illness?
- Releasing anger patterns with EFT
- A client resolves lifelong anger on her own
- Clearing anger and self loathing with EFT via introduction to inner child
- Stubborn anger issue falls to 0 with emphatic "say what you feel" wording.
- Road Rage and hives disappear in one session after getting to the core issue
- New Technique Helps Avoid Heart Damage by Diffusing Anger Within Marital Arguments
- The client who continually felt resentful
- Employee overcomes anger at supervisor
- Jonas uses EFT for deeper meditation - dangerous PSA reading is now only 0.4
- School Counselor on anger and tension,
- Getting behind a successful EFT anger case
- Football Star Uses New Acupressure Technique to Calm his Road Rage -- No Drugs Needed
- Transgender person with abusive mother relieves rage with EFT
- Anger case--the urge to explode
- Even dropping the kids off at school provides tapping opportunities - an anger issue
- Using EFT to self-calm an intense anger tantrum
- Useful thoughts on anger by Stewart Robertson
- EFT for anger underlying ALS
- Releasing anger at parents allowed healing of ulcerative colitis and headaches
- Suppressed anger expelled via the stomach
- EFT for self righteous anger
- Getting over a gang rape--including a follow-up
- EFT alleviates horrendous self-hatred and rage
- Calming down Teddy, an emotionally disturbedboy
- Persistent EFT by Email on depression, anger and anxiety
- Cross dressing, sexuality and depression
- Long term severe depression gone in ten minutes
- Jaqui Crooks used EFT to overcome her Seasonal Affective Disorder (SAD)
- Maggie eliminates her own depression
- Surrogate tapping and its effect on depression.
- Approaching Depression with the Tearless Trauma Technique
- After 15 years of therapy, including shock therapy, EFT helps release depression
- A case that didn't work--and some suggestions
- A first class look at using EFT for a complex case - depression, guilt, grief and abandonment
- Was it really a manic/depressive disorder?
- A textbook depression case--a "one minute wonder" complete with belief changes
- Major results for anxiety, depression and social issues from one thorough EFT session and consistent EFT "homework"
- Success with a skeptical, depressed scientist - follow up included
- Depression, low self esteem and childhood traumas
- Persistence and a challenging case - Incest, abuse, depression, anxiety attacks, nightmares and flashbacks
- A mis-diagnosed manic/depressive disorder
- Depression with numerous underlying issues
- Hair loss and facial blemishes fade after EFT relieves important emotional issues -- Depression too!
- Adrienne, a physician
- Gary discusses depression and some new ideas
- A non-therapist does superb work on depression--including her own.
- Newbie uses EFT on depression, allergic reactions and more
- 30+ years of depression gone in 2 minutes
- EFT saves a life by rapidly resolving suicidal depression
- Depression and confusion about God
- EFT on personal depression--"I was angry at myself"
- Press Release: New Method for Depression Often Works When Nothing Else Will
- Dr. Patricia Carrington on depression--a detailed discussion, including meds
- Depression, height phobia and claustrophobia eliminated in one session
- Depression related to guilt
- When depression comes from a related issue
- Depression Drugs and Migraine Drugs Don't Always Do The Job
- Depression on Death Row
- EFT Newcomer eliminates his own deep depression and anxiety disorder
- An intimate look at Depression
- EFT instead of shock treatments?
- From depressed and suicidal ... to ... "I laugh all the time
- EFT resolves 12 years of postnatal depression
- What was REALLY causing Anne's depression?
- EFT student eases his wife's suicidal thoughts
- Louella: Depression, pesticides and low blood sugar
- A successful but involved depression case--"I don't want to tell you how well I'm doing"
- Panic And Anxiety
- Relief for another stress related cough
- Using EFT for panic when nobody is around
- New Method for Treating Anxiety Works When Conventional Treatments Fail
- Clearing social anxiety with EFT
- Two surrogate tapping cases: Dental anxiety and severe stomach ache
- Panic Attacks: Getting behind the thought process
- Husband relieves wife of major panic attack
- EFT newcomer rids himself of social anxiety
- Detective work crucial in relief for panic attacks
- Combining EFT with the Inner Theater approach for panic attacks
- Testing your EFT work: Feeling trapped and panic attacks
- A Quality "How To Do It" Session for Fear and Anxiety
- Diagnosed as a schizophrenic, Gregoire had anxiety, stress and insomnia
- Current "in your face" anxiety and stress case
- EFT makes good progress with panic, agoraphobia and feeling like a failure
- Sports anxiety, heat sensitivity, being away from home, loneliness, fear of insects.
- 20 year old abduction anxiety calmed with EFT
- Collapsing a client's anxiety from the 9/11 disaster--with 4 year follow-up
- Anxiety and the fear of being alone
- EFT student uses tapping to immediately calm down after a major car accident
- Medical school test anxiety--from C's and D's to A's and B's
- Success story with 10 day anxiety attack
- Surgery anxiety and EFT
- EFT helps adult learners overcome school and math anxiety
- EFT on a case of extreme separation anxiety in a dog and the importance of Core Issues for Animals
- Study Shows Simple Drug-Free Acupressure Technique Reduces Dental Anxiety
- Detective work provides help for an anxiety disorder
- Imagination tapping on the finger points reduces stress level to zero
- Using EFT for a client who feels out of control.
- One EFT round with Deborah's daughter relieves performance anxiety
- Eric Robins, MD and Lisa Cox on surgery anxieties
- Severe anxiety client has his life back
- EFT Newbie resolves her own major trip anxiety
- Panic attacks and heart palpitations subside after doing EFT on dreams
- Anxiety, eating and more
- Success in neutralizing unwanted memories without the client disclosing the content
- Newcomer uses EFT to collapse his own panic-attacks and writes letter to "Quackwatch"
- A detailed panic attack case
- Non-therapist relieves stress in the form of a temper tantrum
- EFT for panic attacks
- Who Would Have Thought That Acupressure Could Relieve Social Anxiety Better Than Drugs or Therapy?
- Daddy left me. Will my new boyfriend leave me too?
- Courtroom anxiety AND anxiety about calling employers
- One EFT phone session resolves driving test anxiety -- and the benefits expand
- Panic attacks and fear of darkness
- Addressing Generalized Anxiety Disorder by aiming EFT at specific events
- Performance anxiety and many aspects
- EFT brings relief for trauma, anxiety, and an overactive bladder, all in less than an hour
- Test anxiety
- Using EFT for Social Anxiety Disorder
- Surgeon Uses New Acupressure Technique to Lower Surgery Risk
- Overcoming Test Anxiety with New Drug-Free Technique: 80% Success Rate
- Daily tapping for Panic Attacks
- Anxiety related to atrial fibrillation is calmed with EFT
- Performance anxiety at a music camp
- Gayla uses EFT for panic
- Travel Anxiety--using the Tell the Story Technique
- Febrile convulsions and related panic attacks subside--not one attack in the two years since she learned to use EFT
- Successful surrogate tapping for surgery anxiety
- Persistence and Panic Attacks - Quality results on a stubborn issue
- Getting to the core of "Mark's" anxiety
- EFT for overeating and panic attacks
- OCD (Obsessive Compulsive Disorder)
- When certain music triggers grief and sadness
- Freedom from grief in only 15 minutes
- Relieving grief over the death of Higgins the dog
- EFT turns grief into beauty
- EFT eliminates unnecessary grief emotions and softens the grieving process - includes 2 month follow up
- Using EFT for Bereavement
- Community relief from grief with EFT
- EFT brings healing to a whole family while one woman heals her grief
- EFT for grief and pet loss
- This new Widow was helped in many ways by EFT
- EFT for pain and grief for a birth mother who wasn't allowed to see her child -- a touching story with a happy ending
- Getting to important emotions by doing EFT while looking in the mirror
- Tapping through grief leads to incredible insight and relief
- Imaginary tapping sends grief away
- EFT setup statements for grief
- An easy grief case with an aspect that showed up later
- Grief changes to smiles
- EFT may be a great relief to grief-stricken nurses who lose patients
- Fresh grief and a double benefit.
- Uncontrollable grief resolved with EFT
- Attorney helps client by using EFT for long term unresolved grief
- A grief case with many aspects
- Tapping on relationship issues
- Interesting way to use EFT & Tappy Bear for a broken heart
- Relationships, EFT and Spirituality
- Improve relationships by Tapping in the Positive
- Using EFT for relationship issues--a detailed case
- Tapping into a state of Love
- EFT resolves a 10 year heartbreak
- "I didn't like kissing my wife after she drank coffee."
- Jack improves his relationship with his grandson using surrogate EFT
- Addressing relationship and family issues by tapping on photographs
- How clearing an intense cough led to improved family relationships--an EFT two-for-one EFT benefit
- MD introduces an innovative idea that brings relief for stubborn relationship issue
- Finding the love you want by healing the inner child
- Relationship Issue: "My husband was being a jerk"
- Using EFT to prepare for a difficult encounter
- EFT is instrumental in bringing a couple back together
- Relationships - on "Being Right"
- Instant relationship fix?
- Relationship issue: A humorous approach
- What holds you back from your lover?
- Combining role playing with EFT for relationships and other issues
- Using EFT for a Broken Heart
- The Healing Power of Forgiveness
- Love, Intuition, Patience and EFT help a schizophrenic 15 year old.
- EFT for Couples
- Surrogate EFT heals a broken heart for a 16 year old boy
- Retired Stanford professor fixes his wife's computer with EFT
- Relationship success after finding core issue
- EFT to heal family relationships
- Using EFT on "blocking thoughts" to good relationships
- EFT and meditation for a broken heart
- EFT for love pain
- Shared tapping provides benefits for relationship issues
- EFT Instead of the psych ward after a relationship breaks up
- Taking relationships work to a new level--The Odd Couple
- Insights into picking up another person
- EFT heals a broken heart in rapid time
- Using EFT to improve a relationship
- EFT, One Minute Wonders and Opening to Love
- EFT by telephone smoothes out a tense family reunion
- Restless leg syndrome linked to guilt - 20 years of restlessness gone in 2 sessions
- How to reduce guilt via an EFT "Tapping Circle" -- keeping privacy for everyone
- The "Tapping the System" Technique
- The Rolling EFT process
- Using EFT for unnecessary guilt - Did EFT get someone's husband to cook dinner?
- How Guilt and Shame Block the Law of Attraction
- EFT and infertility
- Stubborn guilt finally subsides after doing a search on our website and DVDs for ideas
- A bout of cystitis turns out to be a bout of guilt
- Writing a letter
- Reframes (seeing things differently) for guilt, shame and sorrow
- Many Stressed Women Abandon Healthy Lifestyle Habits: Simple Acupressure Technique Offers a Solution
- To Physicians: New Discoveries in Acupressure Promise Everything From Alertness to Pain and Stress Management
- A new do-it-yourself approach to acupressure alleviates stress and, in turn neutralizes cold, flu an
- Psychotherapy Dramatically Improved By New 'Acupuncture Without Needles' Technique
- New Acupressure Discovery Reduces Stress 4 Ways: 80% Success Rate
- Eating Disorders
- Michal describes what it is like to be free from an eating disorder
- Two Year Bulimia Problem Gets Major Assist in One Hour
- A Bulimia "one session wonder"
- Bulimia in Brazil
- "Acceptance Tapping" - A powerful EFT treatment variation for severe compulsive disorders and bulimia.
- Joe resolves his Anorexia...and more
- Love, diligence and an eating disorder
- Anger Management
Table of Contents Help
The tabs on the right are shortcuts to where you have been:
- Previous Screen
- Previous Articles
- Previous Categories
- Start Page
- Hide Entire Menu
Swiping to the left will take you to the previous screen.
The folder icon indicates that more content is available. Click on the icon or the associated text, or swipe to the right to see the additional content.
Other Emotional Issues
Anger management approach for a polarity responder
Note: This is one of 3,000 articles written prior to the updated Gold Standard (Official) EFT Tapping Tutorial™. As a result, it is likely outdated. It provides practical uses for EFT Tapping but you should also explore our newest advancement, Optimal EFT, by reading our free e-book, The Unseen Therapist™, and/or get help from a Certified EFT Practitioner.
This is a fascinating case that will be particularly useful for professionals wishing to improve their languaging skills.
Dr. Alexander Lees from Canada tells the story of an angry young man ("David") who, as a polarity responder, is inclined to do the exact opposite of any instructions you might give him. This, of course, poses a major challenge for getting the client to do EFT. Not only does EFT look silly but it also comes with instructions about what one should DO. A polarity responder is not likely to comply, of course, UNLESS an artful use of language leverages off of the client's "you can't be right" attitude.
This is what Alex does....and masterfully so. You may wish to print this out and underline the creative language.
"I'm curious David," I said, " how does one fail an Anger Management course?" The boy, seated as far down in the chair as he could, was idly tapping the glass coffee table with his left foot.
David's eyes only reached my knees, it seemed, before returning to a point fixed somewhere between his feet and mine. "People tell me the couch feels the most comfortable," I offered, as I turned and headed for MY chair. David beat me to my chair, and it was from this position in the room that his left foot was exploring the edge of the coffee table.
"It wasn't my fault, the instructor provoked me," David replied. "And did he pay you for hitting him?" I asked, noticing the wad of bills clutched in his left hand. "Naw, Mom said we could only afford two visits, and if this doesn't work, I'll have to go to the Maples, but I don't care!" (The Maples is a juvenile lockup where the beds are bolted to the floor, the mirrors are stainless steel firmly anchored to the walls, and food comes with plastic utensils, all of which must be recounted before the 'inmates' return to their 'rooms.')
When I started out in this profession, David's behaviour would have easily annoyed me, and that annoyance would have expressed itself quite readily. I might have said, "Look David, this is my office, I have to sit here all day, and that's my chair. You have no boundaries, no respect for others or yourself, and that's why you are in so much trouble." This would be one scenario I could easily have snared us both in, and David would tell the guards, "That guy provoked me, it wasn't my fault." Now much older, and a little bit wiser, I proceeded in the following way.
To begin with, that inner voice I listen to once in a while told me David was highly kinesthetic -- that is -- how he feels from moment to moment dictates his behaviour -- and he was also a polarity responder. The books tell us that polarity responders are wired differently. Experience has shown me that it is usually based on a belief system -- that to agree, can lead to pain or disappointment.
Since two appointments wouldn't allow enough time to explore all that, using it effectively was the only option. "Well David," I began. "You have selected The Therapist Chair, but I'm not certain you realize by doing that, some part of you knows you are the one that knows how to change things, not others." For a brief moment, we had eye contact, and as the foot started again, the gaze returned to the floor. "Anyway, because you don't believe that, I know you also won't believe you don't want to 'manage' anything, you want to get rid of it."The foot stopped again.
"And, because your NO foot has stopped moving, I'll bet you all the money in your left hand you can't learn to get rid of it in two sessions." "My NO foot?" asked David. "What about a YES foot?" "That's right, said I, "What's left is the NO foot." "I can do anything I want," replied David, with just the hint of a smile. "You're the therapist," I responded, "and therapists just need tools,secret tools, but my guess is it probably wouldn't work for you."
"What if it does, then what?" asked David, eyes now about level with my chest. "I get the money, which will annoy you, you'll clear your anger, which you'll try and get back, and your mother will visit you on Sundays in the lockup, and you will tell her not to." "None of that will happen" replied David, now sitting up, leaning forward, with full eye contact."David, it takes too long to change these things, more than you can afford," I sighed, "I've had adults in here that can't learn The Technique, remember to apply it, and fix it all in two short sessions."
"Besides your problem is special, it's unique, and there isn't another 16 year old I've met that could remember to tap this point (P.R.) and say, 'Even though I'm justified in being angry, I completely and deeply accept myself,' repeat that three times, with any meaning, and then tap these other points, as well as a trained professional could."
A short time passed after th is session when I recieved David's first phone call. "Have you got any other stupid word patterns that don't work?" , he said. "Sure, but don't try too many in one go," I said. I then offered David the following,"Even though this probably won't work, I completely and deeply accept myself." Then, "Even though anger is an impulse I can't control, and tapping all these buttons probably won't do much, my unconscious also works in ways I don't control." And finally, "Even though most guys my age can't change all this, I can."
The second phone call explored variations on those themes, further validating he could do this, when some of his peers could not. The call concluded with, "By the way, I don't like the way you cut the lawn, I'll come over and do it right." When David showed up, he handed me an envelope. "I told Mom not to pay you, but she wanted to anyway. Have you been talking to her?"David asked, as he cranked up the lawn mower. "Why?" I asked, looking pre-occupied. "She said I probably wouldn't give you the envelope," David said, as he shoved the mower into gear and picked a line along the hedge. "It runs better flat out," I yelled over the noise. "Naw, that's too hard on it," he yelled back, as he slid the throttle back a couple of notches.
It would be nice to report a complete success for David. However, the presented problem (anger and violence) was now under control. He was still a polarity responder, but both his mother and his teacher quickly learned to adjust their respective ways of dealing with him. David had been re-instated in the school for a trial period of three months. At the end of that period, David showed up with an interim report card, which read in part: "Minor, occasional annoyance observed. No outbursts. Congratulations, David." I stared at his chest, looked down and right, and said,"That's great, David, but I don't know if it will last." "Wanna bet?" he asked. This time I didn't.
At the end of the school year, I called David's mom. She reported he'd had no suspensions, not even a time out, and had passed the year with a C+ average. Before getting off the phone, she added, "Oh, by the way, I hope you don't mind, but I told David he probably was too young to teach me about the secret buttons." "What happened?" I inquired. "He proved me wrong," she laughed.
Dr. Alexander R. Lees
FOR MORE EFT HELP ...
Explore our newest advancement, Optimal EFT™, by reading our free e-book, The Unseen Therapist™.